Thanks to Sweet Earth Foods for sponsoring this post! I cooked up this insanely delicious recipe using their Benevolent Bacon!
I don’t know about you, but tacos are one of my absolute favorite meals.
They’re easy, delicious, and easy to pack full of protein (a must for vegetarians like me.)
Since switching to a vegetarian diet, I’ve been on the search for brands that are both plant based and delicious.
The day that I discovered Sweet Earth products, my life was forever changed. You may think I am exaggerating when I say this, but I’m not.
I eat a Big Sur breakfast burrito almost every morning (#addicted) and at any given moment my freezer is chocked full of Sweet Earth deliciousness!
Benevolent bacon is the star of these smoky bacon, sweet potato and black bean tacos.
The rich chewy crispiness that it brings to these tacos is mind blowing.
I’m already imagining all of the flavor creations I want to make with benevolent bacon.
It has such a rich deep flavor and perfect spot on texture. Texture + flavor are common issues in plant based meats, but not for Sweet Earth! My husband and I are obsessed.
Learn more about the benevolent bacon here!
I sauteed the bacon with fresh garlic and onion and mixed in black beans, roasted sweet potatoes and a few spices.
On top we added a homemade creamy crunchy slaw made with purple cabbage, sour cream, lime juice, and fresh cilantro.
The contrast of flavor on these tacos is incredible. My husband and I agreed that this is one of the best meals we have ever eaten!
I can’t wait to make it again. Fair warning though – your family will be fighting for the leftovers!
Sweet Earth also has a line of Seitan – in the form of grounds, slices, and strips!
With varieties from original to chipotle, there are so many flavor possibilities and the perfect way to pack in some extra protein to your plant based meals!
I’ve used the grounds for nachos, the strips for a quick and delicious salad, and the slices for paninis.
Be sure to find a store near you and grab a $1 off coupon here!
- 3 cups diced sweet potatoes (around 1 large sweet potato)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 package Sweet Earth Benevolent Bacon, diced into chunks
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups thinly sliced purple cabbage
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ lime, juiced
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- olive oil
- corn tortillas, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Toss diced sweet potatoes with ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and ¼ cup olive oil
- Spread sweet potatoes into a single layer on a baking sheet and roast at 425 for 17- 20 minutes or until they start to crisp on the edges
- In a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add garlic and onion and sautee for 5 minutes
- Add diced bacon and cook on medium high for 12-15 minutes, or until bacon reaches desired crispiness
- Add black beans, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and salt to taste (I used ½ teaspoon)
- Once sweet potatoes have finished roasting, add them to the skillet mixture
- In a large bowl, toss together sliced purple cabbage, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, and ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Serve tacos on warmed corn tortillas and top with fresh slaw