Every recipe that I share on my blog is one that I have personally made and loved.
This recipe that I’m sharing with you today has me SO excited.
There are three things that you need to know about me before I start talking about the amazingness that is this best vegan apple crisp.
(1) I typically am not big on apples or apple flavored desserts
(2) apple crumble has never been high on my list of favorite desserts
(3) this vegan apple crumble absolutely blew me away and is now HIGH on my list of easy knock-your-socks-off desserts!
My husband always goes on and on about how he would love for me to make him apple pie, apple crisp, or something along those lines.
The poor man was married to me for a year and a half before I finally decided to make something apple related for dessert. If it was up to me, I would make all things chocolate and peanutbutter flavored as those are what I tend to gravitate towards.
Well NO MORE, my friends. This apple crisp has officially changed my mind on apple flavored desserts!
I gave my husband the first bite and he declared it one of the best things he had ever eaten. I took a bite and was surprised when I agreed with him! I normally am not crazy for fruity desserts, but OH MAN did this change my mind.
Many apple crumble recipes suggest thinly slicing the apples before cooking. I considered this for about 3.2 seconds before realizing that 1) I am too lazy for that and 2) it will taste just as good with diced apples. I was right!
The apples become bubbly and delicious and the crumble on top gets a little crisp on it towards the end.
I ate a huge bowl of this with bites of vanilla ice cream. And guys, ohmygosh it was so insanely delicious I wish that I could jump through the screen and take a bite out of this dish!
I’m currently trying to convince myself that 2 p.m. is not an acceptable time for more apple crisp. I can’t wait to have leftovers tonight!
Have you ever seen something so beautiful? Ahhhhh.
I was surprised at how quickly I was able to throw this together! It only took me around 15-20 minutes to get this all ready for the oven. This will definitely be going on my list of favorite quick and easy desserts!
I baked mine in a 9″ pie pan and it fit perfectly without bubbling over. I’m now dreaming of all the different crumbles that I want to make…peach, blueberry, nectarine (is that a thing?!).
I can’t wait for you guys to try this recipe! Let me know how you like it in the comments below!
- 6 medium apples, diced into chunks (about 6½ cups worth)
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup vegan butter, melted
- Cut apples into chunks and place in a large bowl
- Add remaining filling ingredients to bowl (lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, sea salt, and corn starch) and toss with the apples until well combined
- In a separate bowl, combine all ingredients for the topping. Melt the coconut oil and vegan butter before adding to the mixture. The topping should resemble wet sand once mixed well
- Pour apple mixture into a pan (I used a 9" pie dish)
- Cover evenly with the topping
- Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes, or until the apples are bubbly and the top starts to brown
- Allow to cool/rest for 15-20 minutes before serving
- Serve alone or with (vegan) ice cream to keep it vegan!