One of my favorite easy dinners to throw together is a casserole. A really good casserole is never wrong for any occasion!
What I love about casseroles is how filling and hearty they are (and I love having leftovers for the next day or so!)
This broccoli and cheddar quinoa casserole is all things delicious – full of fresh veggies, melted sharp cheddar cheese, superfood quinoa, and topped with a crispy homemade breadcrumb topping.
I used quinoa in this recipe to make a lightened up version of normal broccoli and cheddar casserole. This recipe is nutritious but without sacrificing any flavor.
My hubby and I devoured this and leftovers were delicious the next day! Serve this up for dinner with some whole wheat dinner rolls and watch as it disappears before your eyes!
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1¼ cups uncooked quinoa
- 21 oz cream of mushroom soup
- 20 oz frozen broccoli
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup low fat sour cream
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 1½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 slice of bread (use gluten free to make this dish GF friendly)
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions
- While quinoa is cooking, sautee garlic, onion, mushrooms, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper in a large skillet
- Cook on medium high for 10-15 minutes, or until mushrooms cook down
- Add broccoli, thyme, paprika, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and parsley
- Continue cooking for 5-7 minutes and stirring frequently
- Add in quinoa, mozzarella, and ½ cup of the shredded cheddar and stir until combined
- Grease a casserole dish and transfer mixture to the dish
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of shredded cheddar over the top of the casserole
- Take one piece of bread and blend it in a blender until it is crumbs (or use store bought breadcrumbs if desired)
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on the top
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until breadcrumbs start to brown and cheese is bubbly