Last week I decided to combine two of my favorite things – chocolate and muffins!
I forgot about how soft and chewy and perfect they could be.
Well let me tell you, after this recipe muffins are coming back to my life!
For this recipe, I used my favorite brand of protein powder, Sunwarrior to replace part of the flour.
Sunwarrior is my favorite protein powder because it is gluten free, soy free, raw, and vegan!
My personal favorite flavor in shakes is the natural, but I used vanilla for this recipe.
Adding 3 scoops of protein powder = the perfect excuse to eat these bad boys for breakfast.
Because who doesn’t want a rich double chocolate muffin for breakfast?!
I hinted on my facebook page that I may or may not have eaten 7 of these the first day…all in the name of recipe testing, right?! 😉
I also packed them in my hubby’s lunches and he loved them!
The key to a perfect dessert for me is that it’s sweet without making me feel awful.
These muffins are perfectly sweet, but made using healthier ingredients so that they don’t make my heart race from all the sugar.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup Sunwarrior Vanilla Protein (about 3 scoops)
- ⅔ cup coconut palm sugar
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup semi sweet dairy free chocolate chips + more for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine flour, protein powder, coconut palm sugar, cacao powder, baking powder and sea salt in a bowl. Whisk well to combine, then add 1 cup of chocolate chips and stir to distribute evenly.
- Mix eggs, applesauce, and almond milk until well combined
- Pour wet mixture into dry, stirring until it is all mixed together
- Grease muffin tins or use muffin liners (like I did)
- Fill muffin tins ¾ of the way full with batter
- Garnish tops of muffins with additional chocolate chips
- Bake at 400 degrees for 17-20 minutes, or until done