As much as I love vegan food, I am also a serious cheese lover.
This Creamy Sharp Cheddar Mac & Cheese is one of the (many) reasons why!
Growing up, we ate mac and cheese a lot, like many families do. While I won’t deny my love for boxed mac & cheese (Helloo Annie’s I love you!), there’s just something you can’t beat about making it from scratch!
I’m a bit of a cheese snob, so I love finding rich flavorful cheeses that really bring a big flavor!
In this recipe, I bought a block of New York Sharp Cheddar and grated it fresh.
Freshly grated cheese > packaged grated cheese any day!
Creamy, rich, sharp cheddar mac and cheese…the perfect comfort food in my book!
You can make this in less than 20 minutes and have dinner on the table.
We used whole wheat elbow macaroni to be a little healthier and it was delicious!
- 2.5 cups dry elbow macaroni noodles (we used whole wheat)
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter (or normal butter)
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup organic heavy cream
- ⅓ cup organic 2% milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (I prefer to grate mine fresh)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook macaroni noodles according to package instructions, drain, and set aside
- In the same pot you cooked the noodles in, melt butter (make sure heat is on low)
- Add flour and whisk quickly to combine with flour, making sure not to burn (remove from heat if necessary)
- Add heavy cream and milk and whisk mixture on medium heat until it starts to thicken
- Once mixture starts to thicken, add cheese and salt and stir until cheese melts
- Add noodles in and stir well
- Serve with optional freshly ground black pepper, to taste