Since changing my eating habits, I have found ways to enjoy my old favorites in healthier ways.
This casserole has all the amazing flavor of casseroles I used to make, but with none of the unhealthy ingredients.
Added bonus: it makes a huge serving and will be loved by vegetarians and meat eaters alike!
This makes a HUGE size casserole dish (13 X 9), and I was just cooking for me and my husband.
After eating it two times, and realizing I was about to make it again in 3 days for Easter, I gave away leftovers to our friends Seth and Laura. They loved it!
If you’re making this recipe for 2, you should halve it (unless you want to eat leftovers 3 nights in a row)
I loved how flavorful the dish was! This is officially my signature casserole dish for years to come!
Try making this for your next family get together!
- 3 cups of instant dry brown rice, cooked according to package instructions
- 2 (12 oz) containers of organic cream of mushroom soup (I used Pacific brand and loved it)
- 1 (10 oz) bag of frozen broccoli
- 1 (10 oz) bag of frozen peas
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 8 large cloves of garlic, minced or finely diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 cups of organic mild cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Cook instant brown rice according to package instructions, set aside
- Combine onion, garlic, carrots, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large skillet
- Sautee for 9-11 minutes on medium high heat, until carrots start to soften and onions become translucent
- Add peas, broccoli, mushroom soup, and 2 cups of cheese to skillet mixture
- Stir on medium heat until heated through, about 5-7 miutes
- Add rice and parsley to skillet and stir to combine
- Transfer mixture to a 13 x 9 casserole dish
- Top with remaining 2 cups of cheese
- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees, until cheese is bubbly
- *Note: I made this casserole ahead and stuck it in the fridge until I was ready to cook it. If doing this, heat casserole from cold at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, then add cheese on top and cook 10-15 more minutes, until bubbly