I used to be one of those people that didn’t want to hop on the quinoa wagon.
It was one of the latest superfoods that everyone was raving about, but I just didn’t get it.
Well, after I made the Stuffed Quinoa Pizza Peppers, I understood the obsession, I was hooked! Not only was it good for you but it actually tasted really good!
Quinoa is great for absorbing the flavors of whatever dish you are making.
I absolutely love Mexican food so I couldn’t wait to experiment with a quinoa casserole!
This casserole makes a ton and usually lasts us at least 2-3 meals worth for my husband and I.
I use lots of fresh veggies and black beans for protein.
Fresh squeezed lime juice inside the casserole really accentuates all of the other flavors.
Serve this topped with sour cream and tortilla chips on the side. Perfect for #tacotuesday!
- 1 and ¼ cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 6 large cloves of garlic, diced or finely minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1 (10 oz) bag of frozen corn
- 16 oz of enchilada sauce
- 2 cans of black beans, drained
- 3 cups of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Juice of 1 large lime, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- sea salt
- Sour cream, for serving
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Rinse quinoa and cook according to package instructions, set aside
- Remove seeds from jalapeno and dice finely
- Dice garlic, onion, and bell pepper
- Combine both peppers, garlic, onion, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt and pepper in a skillet
- Sautee on medium high heat, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes, or until peppers start to soften
- Add frozen corn to skillet and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, skillet mixture, juice of 1 large lime, black beans (drained), enchilada sauce, 1½ cups of cheese, cumin, cayenne, chili powder, and smoked paprika
- Stir well and add additional salt and pepper to taste, if necessary (I did not add any)
- Transfer mixture to a 9 X 13 baking dish
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes
- Take casserole out of oven and add the remaining 1½ cups of cheese on top
- Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is is bubbly
- Serve with optional fresh lime juice, tortilla chips, and sour cream