As a mostly vegetarian/vegan eater, it is one of the easiest and most flavorful dinners to make! I make it different every time and it is delicious!
This meal was spicier than I usually make, but I loved it! The red onion and peppers add a nice spiciness to the dish, without being too overwhelming.
Potatoes are one of my favorite foods to eat.
Sweet potatoes are also a fun change from just using russet potatoes, I like the mixture of both!
The salsa and lime really balance out the spiciness of the dish. The avocado was a perfect topping as well!
This whole meal was probably less than $15 and feeds 4-5 people! Added bonus: it’s vegan and good for you too!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large russet potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion (use yellow onion for less of a spicy flavor)
- 5 large cloves of garlic, minced or finely diced
- 3 Hungarian wax peppers, diced (use bell peppers for less of a spicy flavor)
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2.5 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1 teaspoon sea salt and ½ teaspoon pepper)
- green onions for topping
- raw red onion for topping
- cilantro for topping
- Corn chips
- Dice potatoes. I microwaved mine for 6 minutes once diced so that they would cook quicker. You can also roast them without microwaving
- Combine first 6 ingredients (sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and olive oil) in a glass baking dish (I had to use two) and mix well.
- Roast at 450 degrees for 30-45 minutes, checking and stirring, until crispy
- Combine diced red onion, garlic, peppers, a splash of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt pepper in a skillet and sautee for about 5-7 minutes until well cooked.
- Add black beans, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Sample and adjust seasonings if necessary
- Layer potatoes, followed by bean mixture. Top with optional red onion, cilantro, and green onions. Squeeze lime juice on top and add salsa. Top with avocado if desired.
- Serve with corn chips!