I’d been craving mexican and wanted to switch it up from our regular burritos.
Little did I know that it would be my best recipe creation yet!
I named these the best ever veggie enchiladas, because…well.. they are the BEST enchiladas I’ve ever eaten.
I was excited to come up with a new and different twist on a classic favorite!
I used cream cheese and a special blend of spices with a hit of fresh lime juice for that extra kick.
I topped them with enchilada sauce (you can see this recipe for the brand I use) and shredded mexican cheese and baked until cheese was deliciously crispy!
It was so good I literally licked my plate (no shame!) and we were scraping pieces out of the pan.
I’ve been dreaming about the leftovers all day and am already planning to make these again next week!
If you only make one recipe from my blog ever, make this one!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced or finely diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 10 whole wheat tortillas
- 1½ cups shredded mexican cheese
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ large lime, juiced, plus more for serving
- 8 oz enchilada sauce
- avocado, for serving
- Sea salt
- Combine onion, garlic, green pepper, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt and pepper in a large skillet
- Sautee on medium high heat for 6-8 minutes, until onion becomes translucent
- Add frozen corn kernels and sautee an additional 4-5 minutes, as corn defrosts
- Add drained beans, cream cheese, ½ cup shredded mexican cheese, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, and the juice of half a large lime
- Add salt and pepper to taste (I used an additional ½ teaspoon of each)
- Build enchiladas using filling and place in a baking dish
- Cover with enchilada sauce and remaining mexican cheese
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese becomes slightly crispy (turn up the heat if necessary towards the end for desired crisp)
- Serve topped with fresh lime juice and avocado slices