No Thanksgiving table is complete without them (and if you don’t like them you’re crazy!)
These potatoes are creamy, delicious, and have a great depth of flavor from the fresh garlic and onion puree.
That is one of the secrets to how good these are!
My only suggestion is to make a double (or triple) batch – these will go quickly!
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- 5 large garlic cloves, diced
- 3 lbs russet potatoes
- 1⅓ cup vegan butter
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened unflavored almond milk
- sea salt
- Rinse and scrub potatoes and place in a large pot
- Cover potatoes with hot water and bring to a boil, salt generously (I used 2 teaspoons)
- Boil potatoes until a fork can go all the way through (time will differ depending on your stove)
- While potatoes are boiling, sautee diced onion and garlic in a skillet with a teaspoon of olive oil
- Cook garlic and onions until done (about 5 minutes on medium heat or until onion is translucent)
- Puree garlic and onion mixture with almond milk in a blender until it reaches a paste texture
- Once potatoes are soft, mash them in a large bowl or pan and add garlic/onion puree, vegan butter, and salt and pepper to taste ( I used an additional 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper)