A couple weekends ago, Robbie and I flew into Florida for Mother’s Day weekend. We got there on Friday and had to head home on Monday. Robbie’s family has a tradition of doing homemade pizza night every Saturday. While I just wanted classic veggie & mozzarella, Robbie decided to try making Barbecue Tofu Pizza, since he used to love BBQ chicken pizza when he ate meat.
I teased him the whole time about how weird it was and how it looked questionable. I’d never like BBQ anything on pizza before, so to me it seemed gross. Well, I wanted to try a bite of his pizza just to say I did, and I was proven wrong! It was literally one of the best slices of pizza I’ve ever had! I definitely ate my words!
Once we got home, we decided to make it ourselves using Lavash crust, which is what we always use for pizza. I love using this cubed tofu in recipes, it gets much crispier than if I buy tofu whole and try to press and cube it myself.
I had intended to use shredded cheddar for this recipe, but I realized halfway through cooking that I hadn’t bought it yet. Whoops! I used fresh mozzarella instead and it was good too! Either one would work for this pizza!
Barbeque Tofu Pizza
- 2 (8 oz) containers of cubed super firm tofu, drained and patted dry with paper towels
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- Crust of choice (we used Lavash)
- Barbeque sauce
- Fresh mozzarella or shredded cheddar cheese
- Drain tofu and pat off additional moisture with paper towels
- Combine tofu, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, ground chipotle pepper, and smoked paprika in a bowl and toss well until tofu is coated
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add tofu
- Cook on medium high heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until tofu is crispy. (add more olive oil to skillet if necessary)
- Once tofu is cooked, add ¼ cup of bbq sauce to skillet and toss well.
- Remove tofu from heat and set aside
- Top pizza crust (we use lavash, but you can use any) with a thin layer of barbeque sauce
- Top with tofu, cheese, and raw red onion slices
- Cook pizza until done (will vary based on size)