It has been so long since I’ve been able to post a recipe!
With getting married then Christmas then trying to get all moved into and fix up our place it’s been crazy!
Last night we decided that we were going to finally cook our first real meal since being back.
Man have I missed it. I wanted comfort food and decided that baked pasta sounded amazing and just the comfort food that I was craving!
I used this organic pasta sauce from Target.
It is my first time trying their brand of sauce and I am impressed! It was perfect in this dish!
It has less hormones than the normal cheese you buy.
I hadn’t had cheddar cheese in a long time and this was awesome! I also bought block parmesan cheese and grated it myself. I always prefer my parmesan fresh.
Less preservatives and such a fresh delicious flavor!
I tried it and agreed with him! This flavor combination is my favorite yet.
The depth of flavor is amazing and the parmesan/cheddar mixture is the perfect topping. If you’re wanting comfort food this is the perfect recipe!
*Note: I ended up with too many noodles and did not use them all. Mix sauce and noodles and make sure that they are the right ratio without being too dry or too liquid-y before baking.
Super Cheesy Mushroom Pasta Bake
- 24 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 7 large cloves of garlic, finely diced or minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 16 oz whole wheat penne
- 24 ounces organic pasta sauce
- 6 oz block of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 10 thin slices of cheddar cheese
- olive oil
- sea salt
- Cook penne according to package instructions, set aside.
- Combine mushrooms, onion, garlic, basil, a splash of olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a large skillet. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until mushrooms cook down and release their liquid. Drain off excess liquid.
- Add pasta sauce to mushroom mixture and heat for about 2 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly.
- Using a large glass baking dish, put down a layer of penne. Top with sauce, 2 slices of cheddar cheese torn up, and about half of the parmesan. Stir it all together in the dish to make sure it is well combined.
- Top with remaining parmesan cheese
- Layer 8 slices of cheddar cheese on top of dish to make an even layer.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees or until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.