It’s so easy to make homemade croutons, and they are the perfect addition to any salad! Add some crunch to your favorite salad with this delicious recipe.
Croutons are something that I love to make for an easy way to add extra flavor and crunch to my salads.
Whenever I find myself with too much bread, or just want something different for dinner I will make up a batch of homemade croutons.
I always have the ingredients on hand in my pantry and can simply prep and throw them in the oven while I prepare the salad.
This recipe is so simple to make, and taste so much better than store bought croutons!
Ingredients to make homemade croutons
- bread: cut or torn into cubes
- olive oil
- spices: garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, oregano
My favorite way to eat these are on a big chopped romaine salad with a protein, shredded carrots, fresh grated sharp cheddar cheese, and chipotle ranch dressing.
It is absolutely delicious!
How to make homemade croutons
Step 1: Cut or tear your bread into cubes.
Place bread cubes on a baking sheet and sprinkle the tops with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and oregano.
Step 2: Drizzle olive oil over the top and toss until the croutons are evenly coated in oil in spices.
Step 3: Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, then stir and flip the croutons. Bake an additional 5-15 minutes until browned and crunchy.
One note here is that cook time will depend on the type of bread that you use.
Pretty much any bread will work whether it is whole wheat, gluten free, white bread, baguettes, etc.
Just keep an eye on it closely to make sure the croutons get nice and crispy without burning.
Some breads are crisp up faster, while others will take a bit longer.
Just keep flipping/checking on the croutons every 5 ish minutes, and more often once they are almost done.
The flavor is great with pretty much any salad, so the yummy dinner possibilities are endless!
Our favorite way to serve croutons is with a house salad and baked ziti for dinner.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 6 heaping cups bread cubes
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, or enough to coat
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet and sprinkle the tops with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of the bread and toss until the croutons are coated in oil
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, then stir and flip the croutons. Bake an additional 5-15 minutes until browned and crunchy. Watch closely at the end to avoid burning. The cook time may vary based on the type of bread used.
- Store leftover croutons in an airtight bag or container once cooled and enjoy within 1-2 days for best freshness.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: ¼ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 69Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g