This ultra creamy gnocchi macaroni and cheese recipe with peas is comfort food ready in less than 15 minutes!
I have been wanting to try gnocchi for months now.
I keep seeing it everywhere and was so intrigued by these pillowy clouds of not-quite pasta that seemed so versatile and popular among the food community.
Last week I finally remembered to buy some gnocchi (I like Delallo brand) and got to work deciding how I would cook it.
Since gnocchi is such a rich comfort food, I would try it in replacement of one of my favorite recipes – macaroni and cheese.
Mac and cheese is the quintessential comfort food in my book. I love adding peas like in this recipe, so I threw some in this time as well.
The #1 awesome thing about gnocchi (in my opinion) is that it cooks in less than 5 minutes. (!!!)
This whole dish was ready from start to finish in just 15 minutes, making it just as fast as boxed macaroni and cheese but much more delicious.
I used half sharp cheddar cheese and half parmesan cheese and we loved the blend of flavors.
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I took the first bite, but I LOVE gnocchi!
While it is hard to describe the taste to someone that hasn’t had it, I would describe it as tasting like a hybrid between the texture of noodles with the slight taste of mashed potatoes (but in a really good way.)
Sound weird? Trust me it’s not!
I added in some frozen peas to make myself feel like we were getting a few veggies in, but this recipe is definitely a comfort food.
It’s indulgent, cheesy, creamy, and downright heavenly.
I was surprised how quickly I was full and only had a small bowl full.
If you haven’t tried gnocchi yet, you should!
I’m brainstorming more ways to use gnocchi now, let me know if you have a favorite recipe in the comments below!
Gnocchi Macaroni and Cheese
Ultra creamy gnocchi macaroni and cheese recipe with peas. A cheesy gnocchi comfort food recipe made in less than 15 minutes.
- 2 (1 lb. each) packages of potato gnocchi
- 2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter (or vegan butter)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups 2% milk
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 10 oz frozen peas
- Cook gnocchi according to package instructions (I did not add salt to the water while boiling)
- While gnocchi is cooking, add butter to a sauce pan and melt on medium heat
- Once butter is melted, add flour and whisk to form a roux
- Whisk for one minute constantly
- Add milk and whisk for 3-5 minutes, or until it thickens
- Add cheese and stir until melted
- Once gnocchi is cooked, add it to the pan with the cheese sauce in it
- Add peas and stir until thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste (I used around 1-2 teaspoons of salt)