Healthy double chocolate chip cookies with sea salt and coconut oil. The ultimate chocolate cookie!
Healthy double chocolate chip cookies.
Sounds like an oxymoron?
Well I can assure you, these are NO JOKE.
Have you ever had a chocolate craving so strong that normal chocolate just wouldn’t cut it?
That was me this weekend.
I was needing some serious chocolate in my life, and that’s when these cookies were born.
Ultra decadent, chocolatey cookies with flaked sea salt on top (<– so important!)
One cookie and my chocolate craving was satisfied (we won’t talk about the two that I had after that 😂)
I used raw cacao powder in this recipe.
Not only does it have mega health benefits (hellooo antioxidants), but it is a chocolate lover’s dream.
Just 1/3 cup of this good stuff adds so much chocolate flavor to these cookies.
I used semisweet chocolate chips for these, but you could totally use dark chocolate as well if you want a more dark chocolate flavor.
The sea salt on top is what makes these for me.
If you’re a salty sweet lover, flaked sea salt will seriously change your life.
Give these babies a good sprinkle fresh out of the oven and you’re good to go!
The taste of these healthy double chocolate chip cookies is like a brownie/cake/cookie hybrid.
Super dense, yet melt in your mouth at the same time.
The coconut oil in this recipe is not only healthier, but helps us get that delicious soft inside.
Is there anything better than cookies that are firm on the outside with soft insides? I think not.
You can store these in an airtight container or ziploc bag (if they even last that long!)
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite!
Looking for more cookie recipes? Here’s some more of my favorites:
- Classic Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Flourless Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Fluffy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
pin these healthy double chocolate chip cookies:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- flaked sea salt, for sprinkling on top
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cacao powder until combined
- In a separate bowl, beat sugar, melted coconut oil, egg, and vanilla until combined
- Add dry ingredients and beat well
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Roll dough into balls , then flatten slightly with your hands once you place them on the cookies sheet (this will make around 15 cookies, give or take.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 9 - 11 minutes, or until firm on the edges
- Remove from oven and sprinkle immediately with flaked sea salt
- Transfer to cookie sheet to cool
- Store in ziploc bag or sealed container
Measure coconut oil while solid, then place in a bowl to microwave until melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 179mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 14g Protein: 5g