In case you missed the news, I recently announced that my husband and I are expecting our first child! We are beyond thrilled to welcome our little angel into our family this August! While a baby is exciting, I must say that the first trimester of pregnancy has not been 😛 This is my first time really cooking in almost two months and I am SO excited! I feel my happiest when I’m in the kitchen and can’t wait to get back cooking again!
I’ve been having a lot of soup cravings this week, so I decided to whip up something new. My hubby has always loved corn chowder so I decided to make a crockpot version.
This recipe is so simple. Very minimal prep work and you just let your slow cooker do all the work. Now that’s my kind of dinner!
Just dice up some red potatoes, add corn, garlic, and some herbs and spices.
Toss in some flour to help it thicken, stir it all up and cover with veggie broth!
Once it’s finished cooking, you’re going to toss in some butter and heavy cream and that’s it!
This hit the spot for me! I’ve had a really hard time eating during pregnancy and I ate a HUGE bowl of this soup for dinner.
My night time pregnancy hunger is starting and I’m totally going to warm up another bowl of this! Try this for dinner guys – you won’t regret it!
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Corn Chowder
This slow cooker corn chowder is creamy, delicious, and simple to make!
- 1.5 lbs baby red potatoes, diced
- 1 (10 oz) bag of frozen corn
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste (I used 1 teaspoon each)
- 2 tablespoons earth balance buttery spread (or butter)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Dice potatoes and add to crockpot
- Mince garlic and add to crockpot
- Add corn, thyme, oregano, onion, and salt and pepper.
- Add flour and stir everything so that spices and flour coat the potatoes
- Pour 6 cups of veggie broth over the potato mixture
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours
- Once finished cooking, add earth balance and heavy cream and stir. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Lightly adapted from damn delicious