Disclosure: this post was compensated by the Tofurky Company. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Every once in awhile, you come across one of those recipes that’s so modest that it looks too easy. These crispy smashed vegan potatoes are seriously easy to make, and unbelievable to taste! Not only are they delicious, but they are also vegan! Some people believe that vegan = boring and tasteless. Well, in my world vegan is anything but!
As a vegetarian, I like to find ways to spice up my meals and add extra protein. Anyone that knows me knows that I’m always buying Tofurky products! I love Tofurky’s mission and the fact that they have so many different meat free products! I personally am a huge fan of their tempeh bacon, chorizo crumbles, and their deli style ‘meats’. The flavor that they are able to get into their products always blows me away!
These were so good that I only ate these for dinner…straight off the pan. My husband came home a little after these were done and declared them one of his favorite things I’d ever made! We have a standing joke that he claims he usually doesn’t like potatoes…well I think this is about the 8th potato dish I’ve made that he devours! These taste like crispy buttery potato skins topped with maple bacon…but they’re vegan!
I really wish I could send you the taste of these potatoes over the internet. Seriously, they will change the way you see vegan food! We ate the whole sheet pan in about 5 minutes flat…and I made a whole new batch the next night which we paired with crispy pan fried barbeque tofu!
- 5 medium russet potatoes (about fist sized)
- extra virgin olive oil
- Vegan butter
- nutritional yeast flakes
- garlic powder
- sea salt
- 6 slices of Tofurky Smoky Maple Bacon Tempeh Strips
- Green onions, for topping
- Wash potatoes and pat dry
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet and rub with olive oil to coat
- Bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes, or until potatoes are soft and easily pierced with a fork
- Cut potatoes in half, then in half again, smashing each quarter lightly with the knife or a spatula
- Spread vegan butter over the tops of the potatoes
- Sprinkle the potatoes with a generous amount of sea salt
- Sprinkle on freshly ground pepper, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast
- Bake potatoes an additional 15 minutes, or until sizzling
- Cook Tofurky bacon according to package instructions
- Using a spatula, break cooked bacon into small pieces
- Remove potatoes from oven and top with bacon pieces and chopped green onion
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 812 Total Fat: 38g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 2g Unsaturated Fat: 24g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 1750mg Carbohydrates: 69g Fiber: 12g Sugar: 4g Protein: 50g