These whole wheat carrot cake muffins are a lightened up way to enjoy this classic recipe.
Thursdays are for eating copious amounts of carrot cake muffins…at least that’s my new motto today!
One of my favorite cakes has always been carrot cake.
I love the rich contrast of flavor when paired with a creamy homemade cream cheese frosting!
One thing that I cannot stand, however, is an overly sweet carrot cake.
Carrots themselves are sweet, and when you pair a sweet cake with a sickeningly sweet frosting, well it’s just too much sugar.
I end up feeling tired and draggy, not to mention that I physically can’t bring myself to eat mega sweet desserts…they just aren’t my cup of tea. Gross.
I created these healthy whole wheat carrot cake muffins that are the perfect amount of sweet without being overpowering.
They are full of healthy whole wheat flour, olive oil, applesauce, freshly grated carrots, and warming spices.
I loved how these turned out!
They are soft and moist and just the right amount of sweet.
The homemade cream cheese frosting provides a creamy sweet contrast to the muffins without being full of too much sugar.
I may or may not have eaten quite a few of these today!
I can’t get over how light yet filling these are.
I basically feel like I’m eating dessert for breakfast.
Crosby licked the frosting straight from a spoon so I would say he approved too 😉
These whole wheat carrot cake muffins are perfect for a healthy breakfast or snack!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations.
More Muffins to try:
- Wholesome Carrot Apple Muffins
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Whole Wheat Banana Bread Muffins
- Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Gluten Free Apple Muffins
Pin these whole wheat carrot cake muffins:
Whole wheat carrot cake muffins recipe:
For the Muffins
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- In a large bowl, stir together grated carrots, beaten eggs, vanilla extract, olive oil, applesauce, brown sugar and maple syrup, until well combined
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture with a rubber spatula
- Pour wet ingredients into the center/well of the dry ingredients and stir until just combined
- Fill muffin liners to 3/4 of the way full
- Bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Use an electric mixer to beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until fluffy
- Add in vanilla and maple syrup and beat until combined
- Once muffins have cooled, frost with the cream cheese frosting
- Store in the fridge and serve chilled
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g