I honestly cannot believe I’ve waited almost 3 years of blogging to share one of my ultimate favorite recipes.
I’ve been making this easy vegan taco bake for years and never get sick of it!
While at first glance it may not seem like much, the flavor is delicious!
I’m a HUGE fan of nutritional yeast, or as I call it, “yeast cheese.” This is a staple food for many vegans and really is the star in this vegan taco bake.
The #1 reason why I love this recipe is how insanely easy it is. You can have it prepped and ready for the oven in just 5 minutes!
Even on a crazy night, I can prep this super fast and put it in the oven. Dinner is ready in just 30 minutes!
If you’re not a fan of a little spice, I suggest leaving out the paprika and use a mild salsa.
It’s not too spicy, but this definitely adds a little bit of a kick.
The key garnish is to serve it hot from the oven with tons of fresh squeezed lime juice on top (can’t stress this enough as it really accentuates all of the other flavors).
My husband and I can usually polish off most of a 13 X 9 casserole dish by ourselves, it is that good!
If you’re reheating leftovers, be sure to use the oven or it may get soggy.
And one more note – I’ve tested many kinds of tortilla chips until I found the most sturdy ones that stay crispy in this taco bake.
If you don’t mind a little softness this isn’t a concern, but if you’re like me, choose a chip that is more sturdy for optimal crunch factor.
Otherwise just serve with a few extra tortilla chips if you need that crunch!
- 1 large bag of tortilla chips (13 oz)
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 of a lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups of salsa
- sliced lime, for serving
- In a bowl, add drained black beans, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, and the juice of 1/2 of a lime
- Stir ingredients until well combined
- Get out a 9 X 13 casserole dish and lay down an even layer of tortilla chips
- Spoon evenly half of the bean mixture over the tortilla chips
- Cover with 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- Add 1 cup of salsa, spreading out evenly
- Repeat steps of chips, beans, nutritional yeast, and salsa
- Top with remaining tortilla chips, crushed into small pieces
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until browned
- Serve hot with fresh lime juice squeezed on top (don't skip this!)
- Be sure to reheat any leftovers in the oven for best results
If you don't like spicy things, omit the paprika and use a mild salsa
Use more sturdy tortilla chips for optimal crunchiness after baking
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1079mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 11gSugar: 6gProtein: 14g