Scalloped potatoes are a classic comfort food.
They are easy to make, impressive to look at, and delicious as a side to any dinner!
These Parmesan and White Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes are the perfect addition to your weeknight dinner/family get together/just about any meal!
I’m a sucker for anything potato related (just see the tons of potato recipes on my site.) Add two cheeses, fresh garlic and onion? Well that’s pretty much heaven for me!
Fresh herbs really add the extra flavor that this dish has, in this recipe I used both fresh thyme and parsley.
I cooked mine at a higher temperature towards the end to add that extra crispy brown on top!
These are surprisingly filling and the hubby and I just paired them with veggies for an easy vegetarian dinner!
Parmesan and White Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
parmesan and white cheddar scalloped potatoes
- 1 ½ cups diced onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.5 tablespoons butter (I used vegan butter since I had it on hand)
- 2.5 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1.5 cups of 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 ½ pounds russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- fresh parsley, for topping (optional)
- Slice potatoes into thin rounds and place in a bowl
- In a pan, melt butter over medium heat
- Add garlic and onion and sautee for about 5 minutes
- Add flour and stir together
- Add vegetable broth, milk, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme
- Stir the mixture on medium high heat until it starts to thicken slightly (around 5-7 minutes)
- Add the ¾ cup of grated parmesan and stir until melted
- Grease a 13 X 9 dish with olive oil or cooking spray
- Place ½ of the potatoes in the dish (they should evenly cover the bottom of the dish)
- Cover potatoes with ½ of the sauce mixture
- Place ¾ cup of white cheddar cheese on top
- Cover with remaining potatoes (another even layer)
- Top with remaining sauce and remaining ¾ cup of cheddar cheese on top
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 35 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for another 15-25 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through and the top starts to brown
- (optional) Crank up heat to 425 for the last few minutes for extra crispiness
- Top with fresh parsley
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 492Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 1000mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 19g
Tuesday 27th of December 2016
Used leeks instead of onions and Gruyere instead of cheddar. My husband does not even like scalloped potatoes and he loved them! Thank you so much for sharing.
Wednesday 28th of December 2016
So glad you enjoyed it Jane!
Monday 27th of June 2016
Yum I'm making these right now :) I didn't see a temerature so I'm assuming 375°? initially then 425 at the end?
Monday 27th of June 2016
Yep, bake at 375 then crank up at the end if you want a little extra crisp. Hope you enjoy them!