When my husband was a meat eater, he loved chicken salad sandwiches. He would often stop in the middle of a long workday to grab one from a convenience store.
Now that we are vegetarian, I created this Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich that mimics the flavor and texture of chicken salad but is way lower in calories and full of fresh and delicious ingredients!
I never liked chicken salad, but I love these chickpea salad sandwiches!
This recipe is just 9 ingredients, vegan, and packed full of flavor.
I’m all about easy to put together recipes, so I didn’t want a recipe with a million ingredients.
This comes together in just minutes and requires little prep work!
I’m not normally one for anything involving pickles and mayo, but I can’t get enough of this chickpea salad!
The flavors all compliment each other really well without being too overpowering. That’s key for me.
Too many pickles and the flavor just becomes too strong.
My hubby goes crazy for these sandwiches, he will eat 3 in one sitting!
I’ve discovered that the easiest way to mash the chickpeas is to use the bottom of a mason jar and smash in a large bowl.
Sounds weird but it works great!
These would be great to make a batch of on Sundays and use for lunches throughout the week.
The taste and texture compared to chicken salad is really very similar (or so my husband says.)
Don’t let the word chickpea scare you – these are packed full of flavor and completely satisfying!
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and thoroughly smashed (we use the bottom of a mason jar to smash them)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, finely diced/minced
- ½ cup diced bread and butter pickles
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- fresh pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Drain chickpeas and place in a large bowl. Mash well (we use the bottom of a mason jar as a masher)
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well
- Serve with lettuce, avocado, or toppings of choice.