Chickpea nuggets – an easy vegetarian chicken nugget recipe. These meatless chicken nuggets are so simple to make!
One of my favorite things growing up was chicken nuggets. I no longer eat chicken, but I definitely still love to eat vegetarian chicken nuggets!
Although you can buy them from the store, it is both healthier and more fun to make them yourself at home. These chickpea nuggets are delicious served with your favorite dipping sauce. If you’re a fan of chick fil a sauce, I will be posting a copycat recipe soon so stay tuned for that!
How to make chickpea nuggets
First, drain and rinse your chickpeas and add them to a food processor.
Process them until they are flaky like this.
Next, transfer to a large bowl. Add in your egg, oat flour, bread crumbs, and spices.
Use your hands to mix it all up and combine.
Toast your bread crumbs in the oven until browned.
Next, form your batter into nuggets. This is the fun part!
Dip each chickpea nugget into the bread crumbs on both sides and place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
If you have any leftover bread crumbs, sprinkle those on top. Bake your vegetarian chicken nuggets for 15 – 20 minutes, or until desired crisp is achieved.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce!
A few notes about vegetarian chicken nuggets
- If you do not like chickpeas, you may not like this recipe. Chickpeas are the star of these nuggets, and they act great as a meat replacer. If you love falafel, you will love these.
- Sauce is key. The nuggets by themselves do not have a ton of flavor, but they are perfect to pair with your favorite dipping sauce. Whether you make a vegetarian bbq chicken sandwich, or dip it in honey mustard or chick fil a sauce, the choices are endless!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Be sure to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
pin this recipe:
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
These chickpea nuggets are an easy vegetarian chicken nuggets alternative.
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup panko style bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place panko style bread crumbs on a baking sheet
- Bake at 400 degrees for 3 - 4 minutes, until browned and toasty (keep a close eye so that they do not burn)
- Add chickpeas to a food processor and process until flaky
- Transfer chickpeas to a large bowl
- Add the egg, oat flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and nutritional yeast
- Use your hands to knead the dough until combined (it should be sticky, but not stick to your hands much)
- Form batter into chicken nuggets, and dip both sides in the toasted bread crumbs
- Place nuggets on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Sprinkle any remaining bread crumbs over the tops
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes, until browned and desired texture
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce