Last week I decided to experiment with a protein mug cake recipe.
I loved how my Gluten Free Chocolate Mug Cake turned out, but I wanted to try making one with protein powder in place of flour.
Despite the odd looks from my husband as I added mashed avocado (this replaces the oil in the recipe), I was confident that this cake was going to be delicious!
I was right! It is super rich and fluffy and so deliciously chocolatey!
This cake is oil free, dairy free, and gluten free too!
It’s also packed with protein and can technically be eaten as a post-workout snack (anything in the name of fitness, right?)
It’s also perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This magic protein mug cake is the perfect dessert to help you keep your New Year’s Resolutions and enjoy chocolate cake at the same time!
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce OR ½ avocado, finely mashed (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons protein powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2-3 tablespoons chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a mug and mix very well
- Microwave for 2 minutes, or until done (2½ minutes max)
- Serve with ice cream or by itself, enjoy!