Easy macaroni and peas recipe. Full of cheesy homemade goodness that your kids will love. Sneak in some veggies and no one will notice!
Growing up, one of my favorite foods was Macaroni and Cheese.
I would say this is pretty common, as I have yet to meet a kid (or adult) that doesn’t love the carb-y cheesy goodness that is macaroni and cheese.
This macaroni and peas recipe is my take on this classic comfort food.
Full of cheesy goodness with some veggies snuck in for good measure.
If your kids love mac and cheese, this recipe will be a hit!
I love macaroni and peas so much that if I plan on making mac and cheese (boxed or homemade), I won’t make it unless I have some frozen peas on hand in the freezer.
I prefer to buy frozen peas as they keep their texture better than the canned variety.
Just trust me on this one and go for the frozen peas. Nobody likes mushy peas!
This recipe makes a HUGE casserole sized dish and is perfect for leftovers for the next day.
Make this for your kids (or you!) this week – you deserve it!
Pin this Easy Macaroni and Peas recipe:
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ⅔ cup organic heavy whipping cream
- ⅔ cup 2% milk
- 4 cups shredded cheese (I used half cheddar and half mozzarella)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 10 oz frozen peas
- Cook noodles according to al dente package instructions
- In large pan (I used a dutch oven), melt butter
- add flour and whisk for one minute constantly
- Add heavy cream and milk, whisking until mixture starts to thicken
- add cheese, salt, and pepper (Sauce will be VERY thick and cheesy)
- Add noodles and peas, and stir until combined
- Transfer mixture to a 13 X 9 casserole dish
- Bake at 350 for 10-20 minutes, or until bubbly and beginning to crisp
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 507Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 819mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 20g