The best Potato Soup Recipe made with simple ingredients. This soup is thick and creamy, so flavorful, and sure to impress anyone who eats it!
Why we love this potato soup
- easy to make: Made with basic ingredients, this soup is great for cooks of any skill level.
- vegetarian: This delicious soup is vegetarian friendly, making it perfect for serving to any guests that might not eat meat.
- flavorful: This potato soup is not bland, but instead is thick, so creamy, and full of rich flavor. Everyone will love it!
What is Potato Soup made of?
- yellow onion
- russet potatoes
- vegetable broth: or chicken broth
- whole milk & heavy cream: this soup is so creamy!
- all-purpose flour: to thicken the soup
- cheddar cheese: freshly grated is important!
- Salt & Pepper
- Green onion: for serving
How to make Vegetarian Potato Soup
Step 1: Melt the butter in a dutch oven. You want real butter when making potato soup, so don’t substitute this!
Step 2: Add the minced garlic and diced onion and cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until softened.
Step 3: Add the diced peeled potatoes and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- Tip: The size of your potatoes is very important for potato soup. You want them to be small like this, so that after boiled they will start to fall apart and thicken up the soup. If you cut them too large your soup will not end up as thick.
Step 4: Mix together the milk, heavy cream, and flour in a bowl or liquid measuring cup, then add it to the soup. This will be the creamy thick base of your potato soup.
Step 5: Simmer the soup for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the freshly grated cheese and stir until melted and the soup has thickened.
Step 6: Salt and pepper to taste.
By this point the soup should be thick and creamy, and pieces of potatoes have fallen apart to create a delicious slightly chunky texture.
Your soup will continue to thicken the longer it cooks.
This potato soup is the perfect cozy comfort food meal that is absolutely delicious! We love this anytime of year, but it just hits different in the cold winter months.
- crumbled cooked bacon (or vegetarian bacon)
- cheddar cheese (freshly grated is best!)
- chopped green onions
- sour cream
How to store
- storage: Leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- reheating: Reheat any leftover soup in a pot on the stove, or in a bowl in the microwave until heated through.
Vegetarian Potato Soup FAQs
Flour and milk/cream are used to thicken soup. The potatoes will also start to dissolve into the soup to thicken it as well.
Potato soup pairs well with a side salad and rolls or bread for dipping into the soup.
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Creamy Vegetable Soup
- Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Cheesy Potatoes with Cornflakes
- Best Baked Mac and Cheese
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- 10 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced / around 4 cups
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Green onion, for serving
- Melt the butter in a dutch oven
- Add the garlic and onion and cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until softened
- Peel and dice the potatoes into small cubes (see pictures for size in the recipe post)
- Add the diced peeled potatoes and vegetable broth and bring to a boil and boil until the potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork
- Mix together the milk, heavy cream, and flour in a bowl or liquid measuring cup, then add it to the potato soup
- Simmer the soup for 10 minutes, stirring often
- Add the freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese and stir until melted and the soup has thickened
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve garnished with green onion and more cheddar cheese, or toppings of choice
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 469Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 892mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 17g