This broccoli and cheese soup recipe is comfort food in a bowl! Serve with a hunk of crusty bread for a cozy and delicious meal.
One of my favorite soups to order at Panera used to be Broccoli Cheese Soup.
There’s just nothing like a big steamy thick and creamy bowl of soup – especially in a bread bowl!
Today I’m sharing my recipe for homemade broccoli and cheese soup made in the dutch oven.
It’s the ultimate comfort food and so filling.
Serve with some crusty bread for a hearty and delicious dinner that feels like a hug in a bowl!
How to make broccoli and cheese soup from scratch
You will need a large pot or dutch oven for this recipe, as it makes a LOT!
I found it helpful to prep the garlic, onion, and broccoli before I started cooking to make everything easier.
You will need to finely dice up one large yellow onion and 4 cloves of garlic.
Cut just the florets for broccoli and dice up into small pieces until you have 2 1/2 cups worth.
Now it’s time to start the soup!
First, melt the butter in the dutch oven.
Once the butter is melted, add in the garlic and onion, and cook stirring often, until the onion is softened.
Add the vegetable broth, milk, and cornstarch, and whisk to combine.
Add in the broccoli once whisked.
Bring the soup to a boil, then simmer on low to thicken.
Stir in the cream and sharp cheddar cheese.
Once soup is thickened to desired consistency, salt and pepper to taste, then serve and enjoy!
This soup uses my favorite trick for thickening – cornstarch.
No roux required, and it’s so easy.
The longer it sits the thicker it gets!
I had leftovers the next day and it was crazy creamy and thick and all kinds of yummy.
What kind of milk to use in soup
I used whole milk since it is what I had on hand.
2% may work also, and you could try adding more cornstarch to thicken as needed.
I do not recommend using skim milk for this recipe.
How long will Broccoli Cheese Soup last in the fridge?
It’s best served immediately, but you can keep any leftovers in the fridge for around 3 days.
I reheated it on days one and two and it was perfect both times just nuking it in the microwave.
Can you freeze broccoli cheese soup?
While you may be able to, I can’t recommend it and I have not tried it.
Most soups containing cream can separate or become grainy if frozen then reheated.
This soup is best fresh or refrigerated for up to 3 days.
More broccoli recipes you’ll love
- Broccoli with Garlic Sauce
- Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Frozen Broccoli
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- First, start by prepping the garlic, onion, and broccoli so that it is ready when you need it
- Finely dice the garlic and onion
- Use the florets only from heads of broccoli, and chop up into very small pieces, measure out 2 1/2 cups
- In a large dutch oven, melt the butter
- Once melted, add the garlic and onion, and stir frequently for 5 - 8 minutes, until onion is soft
- Add in broth, milk, and cornstarch and whisk well
- Add in broccoli after whisking
- Bring soup to a boil, then simmer on low for 8 - 12 minutes, until it thickens
- Stir in the heavy cream and freshly grated cheddar cheese and stir to combine
- Continue cooking, stirring often, for 5 - 7 minutes, until thickened
- Salt and pepper to taste
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 477Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 569mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g