This hearty creamy vegetable soup recipe is full of veggies and the perfect comfort food dinner recipe!
This creamy vegetable soup is packed full of veggies, and made creamy with milk and fresh grated sharp cheddar cheese.
A few months ago I was 9 months pregnant and not feeling well for several weeks.
All I wanted was a big bowl of nourishing creamy vegetable soup and nothing from the store could even come close.
There is just nothing like a big hot and cozy bowl of soup when you are feeling sick.
As soon as I felt better, this was my first recipe I had to test!
I needed a go to hearty and delicious go to soup.
Since then we have made this veggie soup many times and enjoy the leftovers for easy lunches during the week.
It’s one of our absolute favorite soups, along with this copycat panera broccoli cheese soup.
Ingredients to make vegetable soup
- yellow onion and garlic
- carrots: peeled and diced
- russet potatoes: peeled and diced
- broccoli: finely diced into florets
- vegetable broth
- sharp cheddar cheese: freshly grated
- milk and flour: to thicken the soup
How to make creamy vegetable soup
Step 1: Melt the butter in a dutch oven or large pot.
Step 2: Add the garlic and onion and cook over medium low heat for 7-10 minutes, or until the onion is softened and translucent.
Step 3: Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
Step 4: Add the diced potatoes and vegetable broth and bring the vegetable soup to a boil.
Boil until the potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork.
What makes soup creamy?
Step 5: Mix together the milk and flour in a bowl, then add it to the soup.
This is what makes the soup thicken up and adds creaminess.
Step 6: Add in the finely diced broccoli and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Step 7: Add the freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese and stir until melted and the soup thickens.
The soup will continue to thicken as it cooks.
Step 8: Salt the soup to taste and serve.
We love serving this creamy vegetable soup with rolls, baguettes, or crackers.
I love to make a meal of it with a bowl of vegetable soup, buttered rolls, and a side salad.
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
This is my favorite go to soup recipe. It’s flavorful, veggie packed, and so creamy! I can’t wait for you to try it.
Creamy Vegetable Soup
This hearty creamy vegetable soup is the best comfort food dinner!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 10 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 2 cups finely diced broccoli florets
- 8 oz yellow sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Melt the butter in a dutch oven or large pot
- Add the garlic and onion and cook over medium low heat for 7-10 minutes, or until the onion is softened
- Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat
- Add the potatoes and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork
- Mix together the milk and flour in a bowl, then add it to the vegetable soup
- Add in the finely diced broccoli and simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Add the cheese and stir until melted and the soup thickens
- Salt to taste and serve
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 645mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 13g
Wednesday 15th of February 2023
This was delicious none the less however my soup had a gritty consistency. Do you know if this would have been from the flour or cheese or something else? I used freshly grated cheese.
Wednesday 15th of February 2023
Did you cook the flour and milk long enough and whisk it well before adding it to the soup? I have made this countless times and it has never been gritty.