Healthy zucchini bread muffins made with brown sugar and pure maple syrup.
A delicious healthy muffin full of wholesome ingredients.
I first made these healthy zucchini bread muffins the day that I went into labor with my son, back in August 2016.
The little guy came 4 days before his due date (and before I had the chance to draft the blog posts that I had planned to have all ready!)
These brown sugar zucchini bread muffins were one of the recipes that I created to have on hand in the freezer for a quick snack/breakfast after Crosby was born.
I actually made a double batch of these and was photographing them for the blog and ignoring the contractions that I was having.
As a first time mom, everyone told me that I would absolutely go past my due date. So when I had contractions 4 days before, I thought it was just a false alarm!
These muffins were my breakfast and snack for the whole week and weeks after Crosby was born. They seriously were a life saver. I froze them cooked, so every time I wanted to eat some I just put a few in the microwave.
I wanted a muffin that was sweet without being loaded with sugar, as well as made with healthier ingredients (like whole wheat flour and applesauce) so that it would leave me feeling satisfied but not crummy.
I am seriously in love with these. When I first tested out the recipe, we went through the entire batch in several days.
I made another batch for the freezer and we went through those within the first week home from the hospital.
How to make healthy zucchini bread muffins:
These muffins are dairy free, made with healthier ingredients, and packed with fresh zucchini.
I was surprised how well these froze. I had never attempted freezing muffins before but I definitely will be doing that now!
It is seriously such a time saver and they taste so fresh! I just take out how many I want to eat and pop them in the microwave and they are ready in less than a minute.
These make a great healthier snack or breakfast!
Everyone seems to be swimming in zucchini for half of the year, and this is a great way to use it up!
They are so soft and amazing and melt in your mouth.
Smear a little butter on top and it’s heaven on earth.
More healthy muffin recipes to try:
- Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Muffins
- Gluten Free Apple Muffins
- Whole Wheat Banana Bread Muffins
- Wholesome Carrot Apple Muffins
Pin these healthy zucchini bread muffins:
Healthy Zucchini Bread Muffins Recipe:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup brown sugar + more for topping
- 1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats + more for topping
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, stir zucchini, beaten eggs, vanilla extract, olive oil, applesauce, brown sugar, and maple syrup until well combined
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and 1/3 cup oats and whisk until combined
- Make a well in the center of the bowl containing the dry ingredients
- Pour wet ingredients into the center of the well and mix by hand until just combined (do not over mix)
- Fill muffin liners 3/4 of the way full with batter (it should make 24 muffins)
- Sprinkle tops with additional oats and a sprinkle of brown sugar
- Bake at 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean
- Cool on a baking rack and store in a ziploc bag for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to a month
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 136 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 189mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 10g Protein: 3g