Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins are the perfect healthy breakfast for when you have a sweet tooth!
Guys. I made these muffins for you.
But not just any muffins.
Super chocolatey healthy melt in your mouth chocolate muffins.
And the best part? They’re totally a breakfast food!
Let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to eat chocolate for breakfast?
These greek yogurt chocolate banana muffins are my perfect breakfast: taste like a dessert while secretly healthy and filled with protein and healthy fats.
One of my favorite muffin recipes is my skinny pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.
I based this recipe loosely off of those, changing a few ingredients to adapt for the cacao powder and obviously no pumpkin was used.
The result? Melt in your mouth moist chocolate chunk muffins that are sweet (but not too sweet) and perfect for breakfast on the go.
You can use either chocolate chips or chunks for this recipe, but I personally like the dark chocolate chunk flavor and went with those.
Semisweet would also be delicious, but would make these a touch more sweeter.
The tops almost look like brownies and they smell like a chocolate factory while they bake.
In place of unhealthy oils, we are using a mixture of mashed banana, greek yogurt, and coconut oil to get that soft and light texture.
I love love love using greek yogurt in muffins because 1) you don’t taste it at all 2) it makes the muffins so moist and 3) it adds healthy protein.
A great swap for oil if you are baking muffins or breads!
Robbie and I both had these for breakfast this morning and they really hit the spot.
I prefer mine warmed up (<– helloo melted chocolate), but Robbie liked his straight out of the fridge.
Are you a sweet or savory kind of breakfast person? Let me know in the comments below!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
More breakfast recipes to try:
- Carrot Cake Smoothie
- Skinny Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie
- My Favorite Green Smoothie
- Skinny Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Muffins
- The Best Vegan Breakfast Burrito
Click below to pin these greek yogurt chocolate banana muffins:
Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins Recipe:
- 1 cup plain 0% greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 medium banana, mashed (around 1/3 cup worth of mashed banana)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks, + more for topping
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk or beat together: greek yogurt, mashed banana, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, and melted coconut oil until well combined
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cacao powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and use a rubber spatula to mix until JUST combined (do not over mix as it will cause denser muffins)
- Fold in chocolate chunks
- Place 12 muffins liners into a muffin tin
- Distribute batter evenly into 12 muffin cups, about 3/4 of the way full
- Sprinkle on several chocolate chunks to the top of each muffin
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 - 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Viva Naturals #1 Best Selling Certified Organic Cacao Powder
- Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Bob's Red Mill, Pastry Flour, Whole Wheat
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 284 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 36mg Sodium: 158mg Carbohydrates: 40g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 16g Protein: 8g