This creamy greek yogurt mac and cheese is so delicious! Kids and adults both will love this healthy mac and cheese recipe.
Creamy greek yogurt mac and cheese is a secret weapon.
Ultra rich and decadent, but secretly made with plain greek yogurt in the cheese sauce. This mac and cheese recipe is so cheesy, creamy, and yummy.
If you need a lightened up side dish or simple dinner that the kids will eat, this is it.
Since this recipe has a whole cup of greek yogurt in it, each serving has a great amount of protein. You can easily have this as a meatless main dish dinner!
Serve alongside an easy vegetable recipe like roasted frozen broccoli or just add some fruit and cucumber or baby carrots on the side and you have a well balanced meal.
Ingredients to make greek yogurt mac and cheese
- elbow macaroni noodles
- salted butter
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese: freshly grated cheese is best
- greek yogurt: full fat unsweetened for ultimate creaminess
- milk: 2% or whole milk will work
- salt and pepper: to taste
How to make macaroni and cheese with greek yogurt
Step 1: Cook the elbow macaroni noodles to al dente, according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
Step 2: Use the pot from the macaroni to make the cheese sauce.
Add the butter and melt over low heat.
Add the flour and whisk for 30 seconds constantly.
Stir in the milk and whisk for 2-3 minutes while it thickens.
Step 3: Add the greek yogurt for 1-2 minutes, then add the cheese and melt (around 3 more minutes)
Stir until the cheese sauce is thickened and all of the cheese and yogurt have melted and combined.
Step 4: Once the sauce is creamy and thick, stir in the cooked macaroni noodles.
Step 5: Salt and pepper the mac and cheese to taste. Serve hot and enjoy!
Can you see how creamy this is? Using whole fat greek yogurt helped get this ultra creamy texture. Plus sneaking in a little extra protein is always a win!
My kids couldn’t get enough of this greek yogurt mac and cheese.
This recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner, easy lunch, or a holiday side dish. You simply can’t go wrong with mac and cheese!
More mac and cheese recipes
- Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Sharp Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Looking for more recipes using greek yogurt? Be sure to try these mini chocolate chip muffins!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 2 ½ cups dry elbow macaroni noodles
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup full fat plain unsweetened greek yogurt
- 1 ⅓ cups 2% milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to package instructions
- Drain and set aside
- Use the pot from the macaroni to make the cheese sauce. Add the butter and melt over low heat.
- Add the flour and whisk for 30 seconds constantly
- Stir in the milk and whisk for 2-3 minutes while it thickens
- Add the greek yogurt for 1-2 minutes, then add the cheese and melt (around 3 more minutes)
- Once the cheese sauce is melted and thickened, stir in the cooked macaroni noodles and mix to combine
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 272mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 14g