Have you ever made chocolate chip cookies with whole wheat flour? This easy healthier recipe uses lighter ingredients to make chewy and delicious cookies that everyone will love!
If you haven’t tried making chocolate chip cookies with whole wheat flour, you are in for a treat!
Using whole wheat flour for cookies not only tastes amazing, but paired with other lighter ingredients it makes the most delicious healthier chocolate chip cookie.
These soft and fluffy cookies are a favorite with the whole family!
Since whole wheat flour can sometimes be drier, we are using a blend of unsalted butter and my secret ingredient (applesauce) to make sure these cookies stay soft on the inside.
How to make whole wheat chocolate chip cookies
Step 1: whisk together the dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, salt, and baking soda.
Step 2: Cream together the cane sugar, brown sugar, softened butter, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
Add the eggs and beat well.
Step 3: Add the dry ingredients slowly to the batter, until combined. Fold in the rolled oats and chocolate chips.
Step 4: Drop by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet, then bake at 350 degrees for around 12 – 15 minutes.
Allow cookies to cool, then store leftovers in an airtight container and enjoy within 2 – 3 days.
How do I make dairy free chocolate chip cookies?
Making cookies for a loved one who can’t tolerate dairy?
It’s so easy to make these cookies dairy free.
Simply substitute the unsalted butter for margarine or vegan butter, and use dairy free chocolate chips.
More chocolate chip cookie recipes
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourless Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Combine whole wheat flour, salt, and baking soda and stir with a whisk, set aside.
- Beat the sugar, brown sugar, apple sauce, butter, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add eggs to the cookie batter and beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to wet, and mix until combined
- Fold in the chocolate chips and rolled oats
- Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a baking sheet
- Bake at 350 for 12 - 15 minutes
To make these cookies dairy free, you can substitute vegan butter or margarine for the unsalted butter and use dairy free chocolate chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 138Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 103mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g