Once upon a time (as in sometime last year), I created an insanely delicious recipe for skinny mushroom lasagna.
I made this delicious lasagna twice, but the pictures weren’t great and I never posted it. But it is still one of my favorite recipes and I have made it many times.
I decided to change that recipe up a little bit and create this meaty vegetarian lasagna!
Being vegetarian doesn’t have to mean that you miss out on all your favorite foods.
My husband and I love using meatless crumbles when we are craving a heartier dish.
I had the idea to make a meat eaters lasagna…but for vegetarians.
The sauce is so thick that it’s almost all meat and the flavor just soaks into the noodles while it cooks. The flavor is just ridiculous and so addicting!
I normally could take or leave fake meat…but in this dish it is absolutely fantastic.
We had leftovers of this two days in a row and I looked forward to it all day!
The flavor is just incredible and it is so filling.
My husband was a huge fan of this lasagna. I’m already planning on making another version of it – but mexican!
I used oven ready lasagna noodles that you don’t have to boil or do anything with.
I love using these because it really cuts down on the prep work of the meal.
I promise you won’t be disappointed if you try this! This one will be going in our regular dinner rotation!
- 16 oz meatless crumbles (I buy mine in the organic frozen section of Kroger)
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 25 oz pasta sauce (I used mushroom flavor)
- 12 oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
- In a large skillet, combine garlic, onion, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and mushrooms
- Sautee on medium high heat for 13-15 minutes, or until onions become translucent and mushrooms begin to release their liquid.
- Add meatless crumbles, oregano, salt, and pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes
- Continue cooking on medium high for 7-10 minutes. You want to get a little bit of brown on the meatless crumbles
- Add the pasta sauce and stir to combine everything
- In a small bowl, mix the ricotta, egg, basil, and asiago cheese and set aside
- Grease a 13 X 9 casserole dish with cooking spray
- Spread one cup of the sauce mixture onto the bottom of the pan
- Top with 3 oven ready lasagna noodles (spread out a little if need be)
- spread 1 cup of ricotta mixture over noodles
- Top with 1 cup of sauce
- Add ½ cup of shredded mozzarella
- Add 3 more lasagna noodles
- top with 1 cup of ricotta mixture
- add 1⅓ cup of sauce mixture
- sprinkle on ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- top with 3 lasagna noodles, the remaining ricotta, and then 1⅓ cups of sauce
- Add the last 3 noodles and top with the remaining pasta sauce
- Top with remaining shredded mozzarella and cover with foil
- Bake at 375 degrees for 55-60 minutes
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving