A healthy recipe for vegetarian baked spaghetti with mushrooms, garlic, and onions.
A delicious vegetarian spaghetti recipe.
Sometimes you just need good old comfort food, and this vegetarian spaghetti is one of my favorites.
Baked spaghetti is the perfect comfort food!
I like to make comfort food a bit healthier, while still giving me all of the warm cozy flavors that I crave.
Spaghetti is one of my go-to comfort foods. We have it pretty often, and love that it makes a ton of food.
This meal makes 6 servings total! As a kid I’m not sure I was crazy about leftovers, but as an adult I love them!
Less cooking for me. Any night that we are eating leftovers is a good night for me!
How to Make Vegetarian Spaghetti:
Veggies are key for making meatless spaghetti. I personally love mushrooms every time I make a meatless spaghetti sauce, as they have great texture and are really satisfying.
For this recipe I also used bell peppers, onions, and fresh garlic.
I love making my baked spaghetti a bit more wholesome by using whole wheat spaghetti noodles.
You don’t taste the difference, and they are more nutritious than white pasta noodles.
Lastly, for big flavor, we are using freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Grate it yourself and it has so much flavor! I also use shredded mozzarella cheese which pairs perfectly with the parmesan.
This spaghetti is hearty and filling with bites of warm melty cheese.
It’s what pasta lovers’ dreams are made of!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Be sure to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
This one’s a guaranteed family pleaser, perfect for a quick weeknight dinner!
More vegetarian pasta recipes to try
- Easy Crock Pot Baked Ziti
- Meatless Million Dollar Baked Ziti
- Easy Meatless Spaghetti Sauce
- Vegan Creamy Tomato Shells
- Vegetable Bolognese Recipe
- Veggie Lover’s Baked Rigatoni
- Parmesan and Ricotta Pasta Bake
- Best Ever Mushroom Lasagna
Pin this recipe:
Vegetarian Baked Spaghetti Recipe:
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 large garlic cloves, minced
- 16 oz mushrooms, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (25 oz) jar of organic pasta sauce (I used mushroom flavor)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional - see notes)
- 16 oz whole wheat spaghetti
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions, set aside
- Combine onion, garlic, mushrooms, green pepper, olive oil, sea salt, pepper, basil and oregano in a large skillet.
- Sautee on medium high heat, stirring frequently for 10-15 minutes, or until mushrooms cook down and evaporate their liquid
- Add pasta sauce to veggie mixture and stir to combine
- Using a 9 X 13 baking dish, first lay down all of the cooked spaghetti on the bottom
- Top spaghetti with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1 cup of parmesan cheese
- Pour sauce over top and mix up with tongs until well combined (add optional red pepper flakes here if desired)
- Top with remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese sprinkled over the top
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown
I love adding red pepper flakes for spiciness, if you do not like spicy things, simply omit from the recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 22mg Sodium: 545mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g Protein: 13g