This easy healthy recipe for vegetarian baked spaghetti is sure to be a new family favorite!
Sometimes you just need good old comfort food, and this vegetarian spaghetti is one of my favorites.
Baked spaghetti is the perfect comfort food!
I like to make comfort food a bit healthier, while still giving me all of the warm cozy flavors that I crave.
This recipe is one of my favorite pasta recipes, as is this Veggie Lover’s Pasta Bake.
This spaghetti made the list of our 25 best vegetarian recipes!
Spaghetti is one of my go-to comfort foods.
We have it pretty often, and love that it makes a ton of food.
This meal makes 6 servings total!
As a kid I’m not sure I was crazy about leftovers, but as an adult I love them!
Less cooking for me.
Any night that we are eating leftovers is a good night for me!
How to Make Vegetarian Spaghetti
Veggies are key for making meatless spaghetti.
I personally love using mushrooms every time I make a meatless spaghetti sauce, as they have great texture and are really satisfying.
For this recipe I also used bell peppers, onions, and fresh garlic.
I love making my baked spaghetti a bit more wholesome by using whole wheat spaghetti noodles.
You don’t taste the difference, and they are more nutritious than white pasta noodles.
Lastly, for big flavor, we are using freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Grate it yourself and it has so much flavor!
I also use shredded mozzarella cheese which pairs perfectly with the parmesan.
This spaghetti is hearty and filling with bites of warm melty cheese.
Whether you are vegetarian or not, I guarantee you’re going to love this delicious dinner.
It’s what pasta lovers’ dreams are made of!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
This one’s a guaranteed family pleaser, perfect for a quick weeknight dinner!
More vegetarian pasta recipes
- Easy Crock Pot Baked Ziti
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- Meatless Million Dollar Baked Ziti
- Three Cheese Baked Ziti
- Easy Meatless Spaghetti Sauce
- Vegan Creamy Tomato Shells
- Vegetable Bolognese Recipe
- Three Cheese Lasagna
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Vegetarian Baked Spaghetti Recipe
Vegetarian Baked Spaghetti
Easy and delicious vegetarian baked spaghetti recipe with mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 large garlic cloves, minced
- 16 oz mushrooms, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (25 oz) jar pasta sauce
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional - see notes)
- 16 oz whole wheat spaghetti
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions, set aside
- Combine onion, garlic, mushrooms, green pepper, olive oil, sea salt, pepper, basil and oregano in a large skillet.
- Sautee on medium high heat, stirring frequently for 10-15 minutes, or until mushrooms cook down and evaporate their liquid
- Add pasta sauce to veggie mixture and stir to combine
- Using a 9 X 13 baking dish, first lay down all of the cooked spaghetti on the bottom
- Top spaghetti with ½ cup mozzarella and 1 cup of parmesan cheese
- Pour sauce over top and mix up with tongs until well combined (add optional red pepper flakes here if desired)
- Top with remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese sprinkled over the top
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown
I love adding red pepper flakes for spiciness, if you do not like spicy things, simply omit from the recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 545mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 13g
Wednesday 22nd of February 2023
Can I make this ahead and freeze it? I make up casseroles for a homeless ministry and love feeding them healthy food.
Tuesday 24th of May 2022
Sounds so good.Could you use roasted sweet potatoes in ir?
Wednesday 8th of September 2021
I made thIs recipe and I added a lot of vegetables: carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, onions, bell red pepper, garlic and onion. I used whole wheat thin spaghetti, a bottle of spaghetti sauce with basil and roasted peppers and tomato sauce, salt and pepper, Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. This casserole was a big hit in my house. I will definitely make this casserole again.
Friday 29th of November 2019
if I use gluten free spaghetti, will this recipe meet celiac gluten free requirementsts
Tuesday 16th of April 2019
OH MY GOSH!!!! This is sooooooo yummy. My roomate said he didnt want but "just a little bit" because it dont sound good without meat.....its just the 2 of us, i used 2 jars of prego instead of 1, and baked it a bit longer....dont you know the WHOLE pan is gone!!!!! Hahahaha i was hoping for leftovers to eat on a couple days, but he ate almost ALL of it!!! Lolol. This is sooo very good!! And it was easy to make. Took a bit longer then states and i added more stuff like zuicunni too...this is just amazing!! THANK YOU THANK YOU a million times over for this!!! Now maybe i can start cooking at home.
Now im going to make a list and try the mushroom lagasena one next!! Youre a rockstar here tonight!!! Lol
Friday 19th of April 2019
haha I am so glad you both enjoyed it! Thanks for your kind comment, you made my day! I hope you enjoy the recipes :)