Everyone will love this classic cheese lasagna recipe! Layers of parmesan, ricotta, and mozzarella cheeses make for one delicious dinner that is easy to make.
This Cheese Lasagna is always a hit!
It’s a classic recipe that everyone will love. This is a great homemade lasagna recipe to try if you have never made it before and is very beginner friendly.
It is always a favorite, and features 3 kinds of cheeses, just like our Three Cheese Baked Ziti.
This recipe is simple to make and tastes delicious! Just layer it all up, and bake until you have bubbly cheesy goodness making your house smell like heaven.
Ricotta Cheese Lasagna ingredients
- Yellow onion
- Ricotta cheese
- Dried oregano
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Pasta sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Oven ready lasagna noodles
- Fresh basil
What kind of pasta sauce should I use?
While you can use any kind, I recommend spending a bit extra to get a good quality pasta sauce. The flavor makes a big difference I have found! We like Rao’s brand pasta sauce.
What are the best cheeses for lasagna?
The best cheeses for lasagna are a combination of ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese.
What is the best Ricotta Cheese for Lasagna?
Whole milk ricotta cheese is the best ricotta to use for lasagna.
How to make Lasagna with Ricotta Cheese
First, we start off with cooking fresh garlic and onion to add extra flavor to the sauce.
Next, mix up the ricotta cheese, egg, parmesan, oregano, and fresh basil.
Now it’s time to layer! You will do three layers of the following: lasagna noodles, ricotta parmesan mixture, pasta sauce, and mozzarella cheese.
How to layer a Lasagna
- Spread a thin layer of pasta sauce to the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish
- Layer 3 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce
- Spread out a layer of the ricotta mixture over the lasagna noodles
- Top with a layer of sauce, then mozzarella cheese
- Repeat the layers of lasagna noodles, ricotta, sauce, and cheese two more times, ending with the mozzarella on top
Once the three cheese lasagna is assembled, cover it with foil and bake at 375 degrees until hot and bubbly.
If you like those crispy edges and a firmer top, remove the foil for the last 5 minutes or so to let the cheese crisp up and get nice and browned.
How long to bake lasagna at 350
Cover your lasagna with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
How to serve Ricotta Cheese Lasagna
Serve this dinner with a little side salad and some crusty garlic bread for a perfect meal! This would be absolutely delicious paired with a Caesar salad.
How to store Three Cheese Lasagna
Store leftover three cheese lasagna in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
FAQs for this Lasagna Recipe with Ricotta Cheese
Most lasagna recipes have a minimum of three layers.
Yes, adding an egg to the ricotta helps to bind together the ricotta filling to stay together when the lasagna is cut.
More Pasta Recipes You’ll Love
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- Vegetarian Baked Ziti
- Crock Pot Baked Ziti
- Million Dollar Baked Ziti
- Mushroom Pasta
- Vegetable Pasta
- Veggie Lover’s Baked Rigatoni
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 25 oz jar of good quality pasta sauce
- 2 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 9 oven ready lasagna noodles
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
- Add the garlic and onion to a skillet with the olive oil. Cook over medium heat for around 10 minutes, stirring often, until the onion is softened. Add the pasta sauce, stir, and set aside
- In a bowl, stir to combine the grated parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, oregano, egg, and fresh basil.
- Grease a 9 X 13 casserole dish with cooking spray
- Add ⅓ cup sauce to the bottom of the dish and spread it out
- Add 3 lasagna noodles
- Place 1 cup of the ricotta mixture and spread out over the noodles
- Add 1 cup of the sauce and spread out over the top
- Sprinkle on ½ cup of mozzarella cheese
- Add the next layer: 3 noodles, 1 cup of ricotta mixture, 1 cup of sauce, and ½ cup of mozzarella cheese
- For the final layer, add 3 noodles, the rest of the ricotta mixture, the rest of the sauce, and the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella over the top
- Cover the cheese lasagna with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes before cutting
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 619mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 15g