This creamy pumpkin pasta sauce with freshly grated parmesan is a seriously delicious fall comfort food dinner. Once you try pumpkin pasta it’s sure to be a favorite seasonal recipe.
This pumpkin pasta sauce is ultra creamy and makes for the perfect cheesy fall pasta.
It’s officially that time of year when I find myself wanting all the pumpkin recipes!
When you think of pumpkin, you may immediately think of dessert, but this recipe may change your mind on just how versatile this fall favorite ingredient is.
If “pumpkin pasta” makes you go hmmmm, just think of it like this – it tastes pretty similar to butternut squash would in the same dish.
Ingredients to make pumpkin pasta sauce
- heavy cream
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ground sage
- canned pumpkin
- unsalted butter
- rigatoni or pasta of choice
This decadent sauce needs just ten ingredients and is ready in 30 minutes from start to finish.
This recipe was inspired by one of my absolute favorite recipes to cook every fall – this One Pot Sweet Potato and Spinach Pasta in a parmesan cream sauce.
The flavor of this pumpkin pasta sauce is similar to that recipe.
Once you realize that sweet potato and pumpkin taste very similar, it opens up a whole new world of using pumpkin for savory recipes.
Can I add more veggies to this dish?
Yes, you can!
An easy addition of veggies would be to throw in some chopped fresh spinach to wilt in the last 2 minutes before serving.
What do you serve with pumpkin pasta sauce?
Serve it over whatever your favorite pasta is – it doesn’t have to be rigatoni.
Salad and garlic bread would complement this dinner beautifully.
How many servings does this make?
This pumpkin pasta will serve at least 6 generous main dish portions, or more if you are serving it along side other dishes.
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- salt, to taste
For the pasta
- 1 lb rigatoni or other pasta of choice
- Melt butter in a dutch oven, then add the garlic and onion
- Cook over medium high heat for 8 - 10 minutes, stirring often, until onion is softened
- Add milk, pumpkin, heavy cream, and sage, and cook over medium low heat, stirring often, until it begins to thicken, around 10 - 15 minutes
- Add the parmesan cheese in and stir (this will thicken it more)
- Cook the rigatoni or other pasta to al dente, drain, and add to the pumpkin sauce
- Salt to taste (I used 1 teaspoon)
- Serve topped with additional parmesan cheese
1. The sauce will continue to thicken the longer it sits, or you can add more parmesan to thicken it even more
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 333mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 11g