Vegan Chickpea Stirfry Bowl – perfect for takeout nights at home.
Growing up, my family used to order Chinese after church every single Sunday.
We always ordered the same thing every week. I loved Chinese food!
Once I started to eat healthy, I realized that what I’d been eating all those years was not very good for me.
While I still enjoy my occasional out-to-eat fix, this vegan chickpea stirfry bowl is one healthy way for me to satisfy my cravings!
I love using water chestnuts in stir fry recipes.
They are so crunchy and really make me feel like I’m getting that out-to-eat experience.
The water chestnuts have always been one of my favorite parts of takeout chinese food!
I also added in baby corn just like my favorite Chinese restaurant does.
I love the texture that it adds!
How to make this vegan chickpea stir fry bowl:
First, I roasted chickpeas for the protein.
Roasting chickpeas gives them a nice texture and a little bit of a crunch (see those yummy crispy edges?)
I also chose brown rice for serving. I honestly forget sometimes how much I love brown rice.
Not only is it healthy, but it’s seriously delicious! I don’t even miss the white rice at all.
The key to the flavor of this recipe is in the fresh garlic, ginger, and onion.
While you can use store bought teriyaki sauce if you want, I HIGHLY recommend making my 3 ingredient homemade stir fry sauce as it really takes the flavor over the top (and is super easy to make too.)
Try this next time you’re craving takeout, it’ll satisfy your cravings without the guilt and excess calories!
More posts you might like:
- How Do You Thicken Stir Fry Sauce?
- What are the Best Vegetables to Put in Stir Fry?
- 3 ingredient Homemade Stir Fry Sauce
- 30 Minute Chickpea Stir Fry
- Garlic Tofu Broccoli Skillet
- Honey Ginger Tofu Stir Fry
pin this vegan chickpea stirfry bowl for later:
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag your recipe photos on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite!
Vegan Chickpea Stirfry Bowl
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh finely chopped ginger
- 2 (8 oz) cans of water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (8 oz) can of cut baby corn, drained
- 10 oz bag of frozen broccoli
- 2 (15 oz) cans of chickpeas, drained
- olive oil
- brown rice, for serving
- homemade stir fry sauce (or store bought teriyaki sauce)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Start cooking rice while you prepare the stir fry (I used a rice cooker for convenience)
- Drain chickpeas and spread on a baking sheet in one layer. Add ⅛ cup of olive oil and toss well to coat
- Roast chickpeas for 15-18 minutes, stirring at 10 minutes, until crisp but not burnt
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, water chestnuts, and baby corn to a bowl and toss to combine
- Turn a burner on medium high heat and coat a stainless steel skillet with olive oil to cover the bottom
- Once hot, add in the veggies from the bowl and sautee for 8-10 minutes, until crispy. Stir often to avoid sticking
- Make the homemade stir fry sauce according to instructions
- Once veggies start to crisp, add in the homemade stir fry sauce and the frozen broccoli and cook on medium high heat for 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens and broccoli is cooked
- Once chickpeas are done, add them to the skillet mixture and stir.
- Serve over brown rice, with tamari sauce for serving if desired