Vegetarian Hash Brown casserole made with sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, melted butter, and fresh sharp cheddar cheese. A decadent and crowd pleasing breakfast recipe!
This vegetarian hash brown casserole is one of my favorite special occasion dishes.
It’s one of our favorite breakfast casseroles, and uses frozen hash browns, just like our Hash Brown Egg Casserole recipe.
It’s complete comfort food, and every bite is absolutely delicious!
This is at the top of my husband’s favorite special breakfasts, and will most likely be a Father’s Day breakfast this year.
How to make hash brown casserole
Be sure to thaw your hash browns in the fridge overnight before you make this dish.
Step 1: add your garlic and onion to a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil, and cook until soft. This will help avoid crunchy onions in the finished dish, while still giving the casserole a great depth of flavor!
Step 2: In a large bowl, add your hash browns, cream of mushroom soup, cooked onion and garlic, sour cream, melted butter, salt, pepper, and one cup of freshly grated sharp cheddar.
Freshly grated cheese ALWAYS tastes better, so please don’t skip this step. The flavor is worth the extra few minutes grating a block of sharp cheddar.
Step 3: Once mixed together, transfer the hash brown casserole to a greased baking dish.
Top with the remaining sharp cheddar cheese.
Step 4: Bake the vegetarian hash brown casserole at 375 for 40 minutes or so, until nice and browned and bubbly.
Kids and adults alike will love this recipe!
Perfect for a family breakfast, potluck, or any special occasion!
More Breakfast Recipes
- Air Fryer Breakfast Hash
- Vegan Breakfast Hash
- Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
- Meal Prep Vegetarian Breakfast Sandwiches
- Egg Muffin Cups
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 26 oz frozen hash browns, thawed overnight in the fridge
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 yellow onion, diced into small pieces
- 6 - 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups of freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, separated
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Allow hash browns to thaw overnight in the fridge before using
- Grease a 3 quart casserole dish and set aside
- In a skillet, add garlic and onion with a drizzle of olive oil and cook until soft, around 10 minutes
- In a large bowl, mix hash browns, cream of mushroom soup, onion and garlic, sour cream, butter, salt, pepper, and 1 cup of the cheese
- Stir until well combined then transfer to casserole dish
- Top with remaining cheese
- Bake at 375 minutes for 40 - 45 minutes, until browned and bubbly and potatoes are desired texture
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 798mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 14g