Cheesy baked hash brown egg casserole is perfect for feeding a crowd. This delicious breakfast casserole dish is made with cubed frozen hash browns, sharp cheddar cheese, and bell peppers and onions.
Hashbrown breakfast casserole is perfect for feeding a crowd.
This casserole is perfect for breakfast or brunch, and would make a great recipe for Christmas morning!
While I love a good hash brown casserole with breakfast, this recipe is more of a complete meal with the addition of eggs and veggies.
How to make hash brown egg casserole
Step 1: Melt butter in a skillet and add the yellow onion and minced garlic.
Cook until onion is soft, around 10 minutes.
While the onions are cooking, go ahead and prep the bell peppers, cheese, and green onions.
Be sure not to skip grating the cheese fresh, it really makes a big difference in flavor!
I love the flavor of sharp cheddar in this casserole recipe.
Step 2: Add the thawed frozen hash browns, half of the fresh grated cheddar cheese, cooked garlic and onion, and red and green bell peppers to a large bowl.
Stir well until combined.
Step 3: Grease a large 9 by 13 baking dish and add the hash brown mixture to it. Spread out evenly.
Step 4: In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Step 5: Pour the egg mixture evenly over the potato casserole.
Try to get it evenly to cover the whole dish.
Step 6: Top with the remaining sharp cheddar cheese and the chopped green onions.
Step 7: Bake the hash brown egg casserole at 375 degrees for one hour, until the edges are browned and the cheese is bubbly.
Serve and enjoy!
What to serve with hash brown breakfast casserole
This recipe is delicious as is, but we personally like to serve ours with ketchup.
Breakfast casserole is great for special occasions, or meal prep to have breakfast for several days in a row.
The bell peppers add a great texture to the dish, but you could definitely switch it up and use what you have on hand!
Cooked mushrooms or spinach would be great additions as well.
You can’t go wrong with a cheesy hashbrown casserole!
More Breakfast Recipes
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
- 32 oz bag frozen cubed hash browns, thawed
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 10 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- Allow hash browns to thaw overnight in the fridge
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and add the diced yellow onion and minced garlic
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until soft (around 7-10 minutes)
- In a large bowl, mix together the hash brown potatoes, 3 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, cooked garlic and onion, and the diced bell peppers
- Grease a 9 by 13 baking dish and spread the hash brown mixture out evenly
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the potato casserole
- Top with remaining cheese and the green onions
- Bake at 375 degrees for one hour, until edges are browned and cheese is bubbly
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 163mgSodium: 1000mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 17g