This creamy mushroom pasta is a dinner that you will want to make again and again! Easy comfort food style cream sauce pasta made with fresh garlic and mushrooms.
This Cream of Mushroom Pasta is pan-licking good!
If you have tried my creamy garlic mushrooms, then you know how incredible mushrooms with cream sauce is. So good that I could lick the pan!
I used that recipe as inspiration to create this creamy mushroom pasta recipe made with tons of fresh garlic, juicy mushrooms, and an easy parmesan cream sauce.
This is one dinner I crave all the time and if you love pasta this needs to be on your menu! It is really simple to make and tastes gourmet. Sure to be a family favorite!
Mushroom Pasta Recipe ingredients
- fettuccine pasta: or pasta of choice
- sliced baby bella mushrooms
- fresh garlic, minced
- dried oregano
- Salt, to taste
- heavy cream
- parmesan cheese: fresh grated is best
- vegetable broth: or chicken broth
What pasta shape is best for mushroom sauce?
The best pasta shape for mushroom sauce is a long flat noodle like fettuccine. You can also use farfalle, penne or rigatoni.
Which mushroom is good with pasta?
Firm mushrooms hold up best in pasta as they keep their texture when cooked. Baby bella mushrooms or white button mushrooms are both good options to use with pasta.
Mushroom Cream Pasta substitutions & variations
- Pasta: Switch it up and use another pasta that you have on hand. Spaghetti, linguini, bowtie pasta, or penne would all be great choices.
- Mushrooms: while we love the bite of baby bella mushrooms, you could also use white button mushrooms, or portobello mushrooms sliced into smaller pieces.
- Broth: We use vegetable broth, but chicken broth would also work in this recipe
How to make Mushroom Pasta
Step 1: Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and minced garlic. I used 12 cloves of garlic for this recipe, or around 1 bulb of garlic.
Cook the mushrooms over medium heat, stirring regularly, for 15-20 minutes, until the mushrooms cook down and release their liquid and start to brown. There should be no liquid remaining.
Step 2: While the mushrooms are cooking, cook the fettuccine to al dente according to package instructions.
Step 3: Once the mushrooms are browned and no liquid remains, add in the heavy cream, oregano, vegetable broth, salt, and fresh parmesan cheese. Stir the mushroom cream sauce until it is smooth and the cheese melts.
Step 4: Add the cooked fettuccini to the mushroom sauce and use tongs to toss it around to combine. It will look like too much liquid at first, but use tongs to toss the noodles until they absorb most of the liquid. This should take around 5 minutes. The result is a super creamy pasta that is not dry.
How to serve Mushroom Cream Pasta
Serve mushroom cream pasta topped with parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, or a sprinkle of black pepper. A side salad would pair beautifully with this mushroom pasta.
This creamy mushroom pasta is so flavorful and comes together really quickly! Like most cream based pastas, this is creamier when served fresh.
Mushroom Cream Sauce Pasta storage
How long does mushroom pasta last in the fridge?
Store leftover mushroom pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze mushroom sauce?
Typically cream based sauces do not freeze and reheat well. We do not recommend freezing this sauce.
Mushroom Pasta FAQs
If your mushroom sauce is too thin, you need to keep cooking it over low heat and stirring it with the pasta. The fettuccine noodles will absorb the sauce, and you will end up with a perfectly creamy pasta sauce.
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- Classic Butter Noodles
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Creamy Penne Pasta
- Baked Tortellini
- Vegetarian Meatloaf
- Bow Tie Pasta
- Veggie Lover’s Pasta Bake
- Vegetarian Baked Ziti
- Cauliflower Fettuccini Alfredo
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
So creamy, saucy, and full of restaurant quality flavor. This is one of our favorite pasta recipes. Give this mushroom pasta a try!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 8 oz fettuccine pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 10-12 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Salt, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add the mushrooms and minced garlic and cook for 15 - 20 minutes, until the mushrooms cook down and release their liquid and start to brown. There should be no liquid remaining
- Cook the fettuccine to al dente according to the package directions
- Once the mushrooms have cooked down, add the heavy cream, oregano, vegetable broth, salt, and parmesan cheese. Add the cooked fettuccine noodles and stir and toss over medium heat until the sauce is absorbed by the noodles. It will look like too much liquid at first, but use tongs to toss the noodles until they absorb most of the liquid
- Serve immediately
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 816mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 15g