You can’t go wrong with this classic favorite broccoli casserole recipe for Thanksgiving. Creamy broccoli and mushrooms are topped with sharp cheddar cheese and crushed ritz cracker topping!
Helloooo comfort food!
This broccoli casserole recipe is where it’s at.
If you are in need of a last minute side dish for your Thanksgiving menu, you simply can’t go wrong with this broccoli casserole.
Ultra creamy, easy to make, and topped with a delicious sharp cheddar cheddar ritz topping!
Broccoli and cheese are the perfect match in this casserole, and we love it as much as we do broccoli cheese soup.
This recipe takes the flavor up to the next level by using fresh mushrooms, garlic, and onion, to really make this a dish that people will be raving over!
This casserole is a guaranteed crowd pleaser and would make a great addition to your Thanksgiving table this year.
how to make broccoli casserole
First, start off with a fresh flavor base of finely chopped mushrooms, fresh garlic, and diced yellow onion.
Cook the veggies until soft and the mushrooms have released and cooked off their liquid.
Add the cooked mushroom, garlic, and onion to a bowl along with the sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, frozen broccoli florets and one cup of the sharp cheddar cheese.
Make sure you buy broccoli florets and not broccoli cuts, or you will end up with a lot of stems instead of broccoli heads.
Florets are best in this casserole.
Give it all a stir until it is totally combined and the broccoli is coated.
Be sure not to skip grating the cheddar cheese yourself, as it is so much fresher and the flavor is so delicious!
I used sharp cheddar cheese in this recipe, but a mild or medium cheddar would also be delicious.
Grease a small casserole dish, then pour the casserole in.
Top with the remaining one cup of sharp cheddar cheese.
Crush up one sleeve of ritz crackers and crumble it over the top of the casserole.
The easiest way to do this is add the crackers to a gallon sized ziploc bag, press out the air, and crush with your hands.
Bake your broccoli mushroom casserole at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes, or until the ritz crackers are browned and the filling is nice and bubbly.
Just look at that delicious cheesy ritz cracker crust!
The perfect complement to the creamy rich broccoli filling.
We can’t get enough of this broccoli casserole!
It is pure comfort food in every single bite.
Besides Green Bean Casserole, this is one of my favorite casseroles for the holidays.
This is one dish you will be fighting for seconds!
If you make this for the holidays, be sure to let me know how you like it!
More Thanksgiving Recipes
- Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
- Funeral Potatoes
- Creamed Corn
- Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- Skillet Corn Recipe
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 12 oz frozen broccoli florets
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, diced into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 sleeve of ritz crackers, crushed
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, onion, olive oil, and salt to a skillet
- Cook over medium high heat for around 10 minutes, until the mushrooms evaporate their liquid and cook down
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, broccoli, and the mushroom onion mixture
- Grease a small casserole dish and pour in the broccoli casserole
- Top with remaining 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- Sprinkle crushed ritz crackers over the top
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 35 minutes, until browned and bubbly
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 732mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g