This broccoli casserole topped with ritz crackers is always a family favorite side dish!
This Broccoli Casserole is absolutely delicious!
If you are in need of a last minute side dish for your Thanksgiving menu, you simply can’t go wrong with this broccoli casserole.
This delicious casserole is a guaranteed crowd pleaser and would make a great addition to your holiday table this year!
This ritz broccoli casserole is all things delicious. Ultra creamy, easy to throw together, and topped with a delicious sharp cheddar cheddar ritz cracker topping!
We love making this anytime of year, but especially around the holidays. In our family it’s a must have just as much as sweet potato casserole with marshmallows is.
Broccoli and cheese are the perfect match in this casserole. This recipe takes the flavor up to the next level by using fresh mushrooms, garlic, and onion, to really make this a dish that people will be raving over!
Broccoli Casserole Ingredients
- frozen broccoli florets
- yellow onion
- olive oil or butter
- sour cream
- cream of mushroom soup
- sharp cheddar cheese: freshly grated
- ritz crackers
- salt and pepper: to taste
How to make broccoli casserole
Step 1: Prepare the chopped mushrooms, fresh minced garlic, and diced yellow onion.
Step 2: Cook the veggies until soft and the mushrooms have released and cooked off their liquid.
Step 3: Add the cooked mushroom, garlic, and onion to a bowl along with the sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, frozen broccoli florets and one cup of the sharp cheddar cheese.
Tip: Make sure you buy a bag of broccoli florets and not broccoli cuts, or you will end up with a lot of stems instead of broccoli heads. Give it all a stir until it is totally combined and the broccoli is coated.
Be sure not to skip grating the cheddar cheese yourself, as it is so much fresher and the flavor is so delicious! I used sharp cheddar cheese in this recipe, but a mild or medium cheddar would also be delicious.
Step 4: Grease a small casserole dish, then pour the broccoli casserole filling in.
Step 5: Top with the remaining one cup of sharp cheddar cheese.
Step 6: Crush up one sleeve of ritz crackers and crumble it over the top of the casserole. The easiest way to do this is add the crackers to a gallon sized ziploc bag, press out the air, and crush the crackers with your hands.
Step 7: Bake the broccoli casserole at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes, or until the ritz crackers are browned and the filling is nice and bubbly.
Just look at that delicious cheesy ritz cracker crust! The perfect complement to the creamy rich broccoli filling.
We can’t get enough of this broccoli casserole! It is pure comfort food in every single bite. Besides Green Bean Casserole and Cheesy Cauliflower, this is one of my favorite casseroles for the holidays.
This is one dish you will be sure to want seconds of. If you make this for the holidays, be sure to let me know how you like it!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Broccoli casserole is perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Sunday dinner, or any occasion!
- 12 oz frozen broccoli florets
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, diced into small pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 sleeve of ritz crackers, crushed
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, onion, olive oil, and salt to a skillet
- Cook the mushrooms mixture over medium high heat for around 10 minutes, until the mushrooms evaporate their liquid and cook down
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, broccoli, and the mushroom onion mixture
- Grease a small casserole dish and pour in the broccoli casserole. Spread it out evenly
- Top the casserole with the remaining 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- Add the crushed ritz crackers over the top
- Bake the broccoli casserole at 350 degrees for 25 - 35 minutes, until golden browned and bubbly
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 622mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 17g