Easy and simple paleo sweet potato hash recipe with caramelized garlic and onions. A vegan breakfast idea packed full of flavor!
I promised you guys more vegan breakfast ideas, and today I’m serving up this sweet potato hash recipe.
My simple vegan breakfast hash recipe was a hit, so I used a similar method to make the most delicious sweet potato breakfast hash. If you love sweet potatoes, or want to learn to love them, I guarantee you will enjoy this yummy recipe!
How to make sweet potato hash
First, peel and chop 2 – 3 large sweet potatoes (you will need around 6 cups worth of diced sweet potato.)
Place sweet potatoes in a glass casserole dish, and sprinkle them with garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, salt, pepper, and paprika.
Drizzle with olive oil to coat (up to 1/3 cup).
Roast in the oven at 450 degrees for 55 – 65 minutes, stirring 3 – 4 times.
Once your sweet potatoes have about 15 minutes left, it’s time to make the caramelized garlic and onion.
Just like in my simple vegan breakfast hash, I do not recommend skipping this step. You will be surprised at just how much depth of flavor is added just with a little fresh garlic and onion.
You will add your garlic and onion to a skillet with a touch of olive oil, then cook it for 12 – 15 minutes, until browned and soft.
Once your sweet potatoes have finished roasting, add the cooked garlic and onion to it and stir to combine.
Your sweet potato hash is ready to serve!
Thanks to 450 degree roasting and a glass dish, you will get those yummy crispy bits on your sweet potatoes. This is where all the flavor comes from!
While sweet potatoes themselves won’t get totally crispy, those edges give this dish tons of flavor and texture.
This sweet potato breakfast hash would be perfect served with my tofu scramble recipe for a hearty vegan breakfast.
I’m already planning a twist on my vegan breakfast burrito recipe to include this hash. Or perhaps a breakfast burrito made with this sweet potato hash, vegan sausage, and tofu scramble. Now THAT sounds amazing!
See more in my post on Vegan Breakfast Ideas
If you try this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating below and let me know what you think!
More savory breakfast ideas to try:
- Tofu Scramble Recipe
- Simple Vegan Breakfast Hash
- The best Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- Egg Muffin Cups
- Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Be sure to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite!
pin this recipe:
Sweet Potato Hash
Easy paleo sweet potato hash recipe with caramelized garlic and onion. A flavor packed vegan breakfast idea!
- 6 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes (around 2 - 3 large depending on their size)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- up to 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 head of garlic (around 12 - 15 cloves), minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Add diced sweet potatoes to a glass casserole dish
- Sprinkle sweet potatoes with garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, pepper, salt, and paprika
- Drizzle on olive oil to coat, up to 1/3 cup
- Toss to combine
- Roast at 450 degrees for 55 - 65 minutes, stirring 3 - 4 times to avoid burning
- Once sweet potatoes have about 15 minutes left to cook, add the minced garlic and diced onion to a skillet with 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Cook garlic and onion for 12 - 15 minutes on medium heat, stirring often, until soft and caramelized
- Once sweet potatoes have finished cooking, remove from oven and add the garlic and onion mixture.
- Stir to combine