A delicious southern favorite, this pimento cheese spread is delicious served as a sandwich or with crackers as a dip.
It wasn’t until I was an adult that I discovered how delicious homemade pimento cheese spread was.
While my husband loved pretty much any store bought or gas station version, I did not want to try it.
It wasn’t until I tasted what homemade pimento cheese tasted like that I fell in love.
What is pimento cheese made of? It’s a creamy cheesy mildly sweet pepper mixture that is spreadable and is best served on a sandwich (white sandwich bread is best) or with crackers.
Pimento cheese is also great as an appetizer which is what inspired me to make this pimento cheese ball for our holiday gatherings.
All you need to make this addictively delicious spread is just a few simple ingredients and a jar of pimento peppers.
Pimento Cheese Ingredients
- cream cheese
- cheddar cheese block: freshly grated is a must
- diced pimento peppers: drained from the jar
- spices: salt, onion powder, and garlic powder
What are pimento peppers?
The star of this dish, pimento peppers, also known as pimientos, are a type of pepper with a mild sweet flavor and no spiciness.
How to make pimento cheese dip
Step 1: Allow your cream cheese block to soften, which will take around 30-45 minutes depending on the temperature in your kitchen.
Once the cream cheese is soft, use a hand mixer or kitchenaid to beat it until fluffy.
Step 2: Add the fresh grated sharp cheddar cheese, diced pimento peppers, mayo, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Beat to combine until the spread is thoroughly mixed.
Cover and chill the pimento cheese until you are ready to serve it.
How to serve
- As a sandwich: un-toasted white soft sandwich bread is the best for making pimento cheese sandwiches
- As a dip: serve this spread with your favorite crackers or crunchy veggies for a snack or lunch. Bell pepper, cucumber, or celery slices would all make a good vessel for this dip.
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Tip: If you like your pimento cheese with a little spices, add cayenne to taste.
This is the best easy foolproof recipe, and anyone can make it!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Whether you grew up with this southern favorite or not, you have to give it a try! This delicious dip will become a classic in your home too.
- 8 oz cream cheese block, softened
- 8 oz block of sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- ⅓ cup diced pimento peppers, drained
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Soften the cream cheese for at least 45 minutes
- Beat the cream cheese using hand mixers or a stand mixer
- Add the sharp cheddar cheese, diced pimento peppers, mayo, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Beat to combine
- Cover and chill in the fridge until ready to serve
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge
- Serve with crackers for an appetizer or on white sandwich bread
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 372mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g