You can’t go wrong with this easy cheese ball recipe made with cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, green onion, and rolled in pecans. A delicious appetizer for your holiday gatherings!
A cheese ball is a delicious addition to any holiday party, and a tradition that I grew up with, like many others did.
This is my go to recipe for an easy and tasty cheese ball that only uses simple ingredients and comes together in just a few minutes.
The cheese ball is super creamy and rich, with that perfect contrast of crunch in the pecan topping!
Fresh green onions and a few simple spices add just the right amount of flavor for every creamy bite.
how to make an easy cheese ball recipe
First, allow your cream cheese to soften for around a half hour, or until it is fairly soft but still has texture.
Once softened, beat together the cream cheese, sour cream, garlic, green onion, salt, and pepper until combined with a hand mixer.
Grate 8 oz of sharp cheddar cheese and beat that in.
Chill the mixture in the fridge for around an hour or so to firm it up.
Next, use greased hands and a spatula to form the mixture into a ball, then roll in the pecans until coated.
I first shaped the ball roughly with a spatula then sprayed my hands with olive oil spray to finish shaping it and that worked perfectly.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve with your favorite crackers!
Tips for making this cheese ball
Don’t skip grating the cheese yourself!
The extra flavor and texture are just right for this recipe.
I used sharp cheddar, but medium cheddar would work just as well.
To save time, buy your pecans in pieces so you don’t have to spend time chopping them up!
Use a butter knife to serve, and be sure not to leave out at room temperature for longer than 2 hours.
Leftovers store beautifully in the fridge in an airtight container!
More Appetizers You will Love
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Easy Cheese Ball Recipe
- 2 blocks of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup fresh green onions, minced or finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup pecan pieces**
- With a hand mixer, beat together the softened cream cheese, sour cream, garlic powder, green onions, salt, and pepper until combined
- Grate the cheddar cheese block fresh
- Beat in the sharp cheddar to combine
- Cover and chill for around an hour, until mixture begins to firm
- Use a spatula and greased hands to form the cheese ball, then roll in the pecans until coated on all sides
- Serve with your favorite crackers and enjoy!
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 - 5 days
Start with one cup of pecan pieces for rolling, and add more if necessary.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g