This lightened up pumpkin cake recipe with homemade tangy cream cheese frosting is a must try fall dessert!
It’s pumpkin season and if you’re like me, you are eating allll the pumpkin things!
This pumpkin cake recipe is the perfect fall treat.
Pumpkin spiced cake topped with homemade cream cheese frosting is a seasonal dessert that everyone will love!
As usual, the recipe is lightened up (just a bit) and uses some more wholesome ingredients.
It’s sweet, pumpkin-y and addictively delicious, with only a fraction of the sugar as other pumpkin cakes.
Too sweet cakes are just not my jam, and this one is perfectly sweet with a tangy homemade frosting that’s to die for!
how to make pumpkin cake
Step 1: whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
Step 2: In a separate larger bowl, beat the pumpkin, eggs, maple syrup, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla until well combined.
Step 3: Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and beat until thoroughly combined.
Step 4: Grease a 9 X 13 dish (mine was a 3 qt) then pour the batter in, smoothing out the top.
Step 5: Bake the cake at 350 degrees for 35 – 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Frosting the cake
Allow the cake to cool to the touch before frosting it.
How to make the cream cheese frosting
In a bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese, greek yogurt, and powdered sugar until fluffy and smooth.
For a sweeter frosting, you can add more powdered sugar to taste if desired.
Frost your cooled cake, then cut into slices and enjoy!
Store any leftover pumpkin cake in the fridge for up to 3-4 days for best taste and texture.
more pumpkin recipes
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Truffles
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Frozen Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
For the Pumpkin Cake
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 15 oz canned pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the cream cheese frosting
- ⅓ cup plain 0% greek yogurt
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt
- In a separate larger bowl, use mixers to beat together the pumpkin, eggs, maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, and olive oil
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat until combined
- Grease a 9 X 13 dish (mine was a 3 qt) and pour the batter in, smoothing out the top
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Allow cake to cool before frosting
- To make the frosting, beat together the greek yogurt, powdered sugar, and cream cheese until fluffy
- Frost cooled cake and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3-4 days for best results
The frosting is sweet but not overly sweet. If you prefer a sweeter frosting, just add more powdered sugar to taste and beat to combine.
If you use a different size pan, it will affect cook time. Just keep a close eye on it and cook until the top is done and a toothpick inserted comes out clean
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 348mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 6g