The best vegan puppy chow aka muddy buddies recipe! This classic favorite Christmas dessert is made without any dairy.
Whether you grew up calling it puppy chow or muddy buddies, I think we can all agree that we have all made this classic favorite Christmas dessert over the years.
Today I’m sharing a twist on this childhood staple for friends and loved ones who can’t have dairy.
This recipe tastes just like the puppy chow you grew up eating, but it is made with dairy free chocolate chips and vegan butter, making it vegan!
ingredients to make vegan puppy chow
- rice chex cereal
- dairy free chocolate chips
- creamy peanut butter
- vegan butter
- powdered sugar
Just 5 ingredients and a few minutes stand between you and a batch of this homemade vegan puppy chow recipe!
My favorite brand of dairy free chocolate chips is enjoy life brand.
I have also had luck with my grocery store carrying their generic brand which just happened to be dairy free.
how to make vegan puppy chow
First, you will melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and vegan butter in a microwave safe bowl until smooth.
In a large bowl, add the rice chex, and pour the chocolate peanut butter mixture over the top.
Gently stir the mixture over the cereal until the rice chex is coated.
The last step is to transfer the mixture to gallon sized ziploc bags and add the powdered sugar, shaking well until coated.
Keep leftovers (if there are any!) in an airtight container.
This recipe reminds me of my childhood at Christmas!
A classic to make for years to come.
It’s a vegan dessert that you can make your holidays even more delicious.
More vegan christmas recipes you will love
- Vegan Chocolate Sea Salt Pretzel Bark
- No Bake Peanut Butter Truffles
- Vegan Hot Chocolate
- Dark Chocolate Almond Bark
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Cups
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Vegan muddy buddies recipe
- 1 (12 oz) box rice chex
- 10 oz dairy free semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cups peanut butter
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 1 - 2 cups powdered sugar
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter, and vegan butter in 20 second increments, stirring and heating until smooth
- Pour rice chex into a large bowl
- Pour the chocolate peanut butter mixture over the rice chex and gently stir until coated
- Transfer mixture to gallon sized ziploc bags and shake with powdered sugar, adding more until coated on all sides
- Store in an airtight container and eat within 3 days for best freshness
This recipe yields around two gallon sized ziploc bags full of puppy chow
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 79mg Carbohydrates: 17g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 13g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g