This chickpea salad sandwich recipe is a filling and easy vegetarian lunch idea that you can make in minutes! Similar to tuna salad or chicken salad, but made totally vegan with simple classic ingredients.
You will love this Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe
This delicious smashed chickpea “chicken” salad has become such a favorite of ours over the years and it is so easy to make.
Whether you are a vegan, vegetarian, or just looking to try a delicious meatless lunch, this recipe is a great one!
This recipe is a vegan take on the classic favorite lunch recipes like chicken salad and tuna salad. Mashed chickpeas give us the perfect texture for creating a delicious vegan chickpea salad sandwich!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Ingredients
- chickpeas: drained and smashed
- celery: finely diced
- fresh dill: finely minced
- bread and butter pickles: diced into small pieces
- lemon juice
- vegan mayo
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper: to taste
This chickpea salad recipe is just 9 ingredients, vegan, and packed full of flavor!
How to make this Chickpea Salad Recipe
Step one: start by prepping the ingredients that need to be chopped up. Dice the celery into small pieces, mince the fresh dill, and dice the bread and butter pickles.
Step 2: Drain and mash the chickpeas up until they are the texture below, with few chunks remaining.
To do this you can use either the bottom of a glass, such as a mason jar, or a potato masher. The goal is to get it nice and mashed up so that there are just a few chunks remaining for texture.
Step 3: Add the bread and butter pickles, celery, dill, vegan mayo, garlic powder, and lemon juice to the smashed chickpeas. Stir until well combined, then salt and pepper the chickpea salad to taste.
These classic ingredients will make it taste just like chicken salad!
The result is a creamy, hearty chickpea salad sandwich filling that is bursting with flavor. The crunch from the celery adds a great texture, and the lemon juice really makes the flavors pop!
How to serve Vegan Chickpea Salad
- on a sandwich: with your bread of choice
- as a dip: with crackers of choice
- on a lettuce wrap
Dress these chickpea salad sandwiches any way you please! We love to load ours with extra fresh veggies on top on a good seeded bread.
This is a great vegan meal prep recipe. I can’t count how many times I have made a batch of this chickpea salad and used it for quick sandwiches all week long. It’s so simple and always tastes great!
Chickpea Sandwich Topping Ideas
- fresh sliced tomatoes
- crisp lettuce
- red onion
- avocado slices
Chickpea Salad storage
Store leftover vegan chickpea salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Vegan Chickpea Salad FAQs
Yes! Canned chickpeas are a convenient option as you can eat them straight from the can without needing to cook them.
It is not necessary to rinse canned chickpeas, simply drain them well and they are ready to be used.
Chickpeas count as both a carbohydrate and a protein.
Yes, garbanzo beans are the same thing as chickpeas, just a different name.
Yes, canned chickpeas are vegan.
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
More Chickpea Recipes
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
If you need a new vegetarian lunch idea you need to make up a batch of this chickpea salad!
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and thoroughly smashed
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, finely diced
- ½ cup diced bread and butter pickles
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- fresh pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Drain the chickpeas and place in a large bowl. Mash well. You can use either a potato masher or the bottom of a mason jar to smash them.
- Dice up the celery and bread and butter pickles and add them to the smashed chickpeas.
- Use a knife to finely mince and cut up the fresh dill and add it to the chickpeas
- Add the fresh lemon juice, vegan mayo, and garlic powder. Stir the chickpea salad and salt and pepper to taste
- Serve on bread of choice with lettuce, avocado, tomato, or toppings of choice
- Store leftover chickpea salad in an airtight container in the fridge
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 286mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g