Growing up, I remember my mom making spaghetti a lot, at least once a week usually. I loved pasta night, when we’d fill our plates with steaming hot pasta, yummy sauce, and drown it in Parmesan cheese. I loved spaghetti then, and I love it now. Not only is spaghetti a staple food, but it’s so affordable! I talked about how pasta like this is one of my protein staples in this post.
For this spaghetti, I used a ton of baby bella mushrooms. I love how thick and “meaty” they are. But really, I’m just obsessed with mushrooms. They seem to be a theme on my blog, whether in pasta or on lavash pizza or in mexican food. I have an undying love of mushrooms. So much in fact that I might need intervention. Every time I’m at the grocery store, I have to convince myself that no, I do not need 27 packages of mushrooms, 2 will work just fine. But heaven help me when they’re on sale, last week I think I had between 6 packages in my fridge because I had to buy every one that was on sale. I was so happy! There’s just something about mushrooms that I adore, they are definitely one of my favorite veggies!
I love how economical spaghetti is. We added some tomato sauce to our leftovers the next day, and we ended up eating this 3 times, so it made 6 meals for less than $15-20. It’s just as good the next day, and makes great leftovers!
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced or finely diced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 25 oz jar of organic pasta sauce
- 16 oz package of whole wheat spaghetti
- Block of Parmesan cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions, set aside
- Combine mushrooms, onioin, garlic, olive oil, basil, sea salt, and pepper in a large skillet.
- Sautee on medium heat for 7-10 minutes, or until mushrooms have released and cooked away their liquid. If the liquid does not all evaporate, drain mixture in a strainer.
- Add 25 oz jar of pasta sauce to mushroom mixture, stir well
- Serve spaghetti topped with sauce and freshly grated Parmesan cheese!