Easy oil free vegan banana muffins recipe made with applesauce. This vegan muffin recipe will be your new favorite!
Today I decided to try my hand at making vegan banana muffins for the first time.
While I am not vegan myself, I do post quite a lot of vegan recipes on my blog.
One area that I noticed I have not posted many vegan recipes is muffins and breads.
I’m making it a mission to start experimenting more with baking for my vegan readers!
You don’t have to be vegan to enjoy these muffins though!
I wanted to create a healthy vegan muffin recipe that was oil free, didn’t require any difficult ingredients, and was easy to make.
While I know a lot of people make flax eggs to replace eggs in a recipe (and I may myself do this in the future), I wanted to see if I could make vegan banana muffins without the use of any egg replacements.
ingredients to make vegan banana muffins
- unsweetened applesauce
- pure maple syrup
- mashed bananas
- baking soda
- baking powder
- brown sugar
- whole wheat pastry flour
- vanilla extract
Simple, wholesome ingredients.
Instead of using an egg replacer, I instead used a combination of applesauce and extra mashed banana to help the muffins stick together.
It worked great!
I crossed my fingers and was happy to find out that not only did it work, but these vegan muffins were beyond delicious!
They are sweet (but not overly so), soft (even though they are oil free!) and just all around delicious.
I ate 3 and called it brunch!
Personally, my favorite way to eat these was warm with a bit of vegan butter spread on top.
You can also eat them cold!
They would make a great lunchbox snack for kids.
Now that I know my mashed banana trick worked, I am going to start seeing if I can make more muffin recipes vegan-ized!
Do you have a favorite way to replace eggs in a recipe?
I want to know!
Many of my recipes are already dairy free, so the egg is the one part to make vegan.
Overall I couldn’t be happier with these banana muffins!
They are so healthy and only took minutes to whip up.
I can definitely see these becoming a regular in our house!
More muffin recipes
- Gluten Free Chocolate Muffins
- Zucchini Bread Muffins
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Vegan Banana Muffins Recipe
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ cups mashed (very ripe) banana
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, use mixers to beat together mashed banana, applesauce, maple syrup, brown sugar, and vanilla extract
- Add dry mixture to wet, and use a rubber spatula to gently stir until just combined (do not over mix)
- Line a muffin tin with parchment paper liners (these do not stick.) If you have regular paper liners, you will need to spray them with cooking spray to help avoid sticking.
- Distribute batter evenly into the 12 muffin liners
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes, until tops are cracked and toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Serve cold or warmed up with vegan butter
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 231mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 4gSugar: 15gProtein: 5g