These cake mix pumpkin bars with homemade cream cheese frosting are a delicious pumpkin spiced fall dessert!
It’s officially time for Pumpkin season! In our house that means all of the fun pumpkin spice flavored treats.
These pumpkin bars couldn’t be easier to throw together, and are topped with a simple homemade cream cheese frosting.
These are a great fall treat to make when you are short on time!
All you need is just 6 ingredients to make these easy pumpkin bars!
Ingredients to make pumpkin bars
- one box of yellow cake mix
- one can of pumpkin puree
- cream cheese
- unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
How to make Cake Mix Pumpkin Bars
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the pumpkin puree and cake mix until thoroughly combined.
The batter will look very thick at first. Just keep stirring and it will eventually mix together! I find that using a rubber spatula works best for this batter.
Step 2: Grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and spread the pumpkin batter evenly into the pan.
Bake the pumpkin bars at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Step 3: Remove the pumpkin bars from the oven and allow them to cool completely before frosting them.
You can go ahead and make the frosting while they are cooling.
Step 4: Use a kitchenaid or hand mixer to beat together the softened cream cheese and butter until smooth.
Add the vanilla, then the powdered sugar a bit at a time, continuing to mix until the frosting is smooth.
Step 5: Frost the cake mix pumpkin bars with the cream cheese frosting.
Cover and chill the bars in the fridge until ready to serve, then slice into squares.
I find these easier to cut neatly once they have chilled in the fridge for awhile and the cream cheese frosting has hardened some.
You can either cut these bars into 12 large ones, or 24 small ones.
For a holiday party or a kids’ school party I would suggest cutting them into smaller squares as that will still be a good serving.
These pumpkin dessert bars are melt in your mouth moist and so yummy when paired with tangy cream cheese frosting!
Just another way that we love to use a box of yellow cake mix to make fun treats quick.
Try this recipe and I guarantee you won’t be able to eat just one!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
We love using cake mix as a hack for making tasty baked goods in a fraction of the time! Hungry for more? Check out some of our other favorite cake mix recipes!
More Cake Mix Recipes
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
These perfectly moist pumpkin bars with cream cheese icing are a fall delight. Try these for pumpkin spice season!
- 15 oz canned pumpkin
- 15 oz spice cake mix
For the cream cheese frosting
- 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together the pumpkin puree and cake mix until thoroughly combined
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and spread the pumpkin batter evenly into the pan
- Bake the pumpkin bars at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Allow the pumpkin bars to cool completely before frosting. Make the cream cheese frosting while they are cooling.
- Use a kitchenaid or hand mixer to beat together the softened cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the vanilla, then the powdered sugar a bit at a time, continuing to mix until the frosting is smooth
- Frost the pumpkin bars with the cream cheese frosting
- Cover and chill in the fridge until ready to serve, then slice into squares of either 12 large or 24 small servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 380mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 2gSugar: 39gProtein: 3g