This creamy bow tie pasta is the best easy weeknight dinner. Pair it with protein and a veggie on the side for a delicious meal!
Why we love this bow tie pasta
- Easy to make: With just a handful of ingredients you can make a simple and flavorful cream sauce that makes this pasta absolutely irresistible!
- Versatile: This pasta dish pairs well with just about any meat, seafood, or vegetarian protein. Add a protein and a roasted veggie or salad on the side and you have a delicious balanced meal.
- Everyone loves it: Pasta is always a favorite, and kids and adults will both love this dish!
Bow Tie Pasta Ingredients
- bow tie pasta: Also known as farfalle, this fun pasta shape is always a hit with kids
- heavy cream: to add creaminess to the sauce
- vegetable broth: or chicken brown
- parmesan cheese: shredded not powdered
- butter and flour: to make a quick roux for the sauce
- minced garlic: garlic adds a rich flavor to the cream sauce
- salt and pepper: to taste
How to make bow tie pasta
Step 1: Bring a pot of water to a boil and salt the water. Add the farfelle pasta and cook to al dente according to the package instructions.
Step 2: While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a sauce pan. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often, until fragrant. Whisk in the flour and stir constantly for 1 minute.
Step 3: Add the vegetable broth and heavy cream. Stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until the sauce begins to thicken.
Step 4: Stir in the parmesan cheese until melted.
Step 5: Add the cooked bow tie pasta to the cream sauce and stir until the pasta is coated and the sauce finishes thickening (around 3-5 minutes.) Salt and pepper the pasta to taste and serve immediately.
While this pasta pairs well with just about anything, you can also serve it by itself for a comfort food style meal.
If you are serving this for more than 2-3 adults, I would suggest doubling the recipe so that you have enough. I made this for myself, my husband and two small children and it was the perfect amount.
More Easy Dinners You’ll Love
- Veggie Lover’s Rigatoni
- Creamy Penne Pasta
- Crock Pot Baked Ziti
- Garlic Butter Noodles
- Potato Soup
- Cheese Lasagna
- Baked Spaghetti
- Sweet Potato Pasta
- Creamy Vegetable Soup
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Creamy Bow Tie Pasta FAQs
Leftover bow tie pasta can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Yes! Any type of broth is fine to use for the sauce.
No. This recipe requires grated parmesan cheese. Fresh cheese melts best, and that extra minute or two is well worth it grating it yourself!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 8 oz dry bow tie pasta
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the bow tie pasta to al dente according to the package instructions
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often, until fragrant
- Add the flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute
- Add the vegetable broth and heavy cream. Stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until it begins to thicken
- Stir in the grated parmesan cheese until melted
- Add the cooked bow tie pasta to the cream sauce and stir until the pasta is coated and the sauce finishes thickening (3-5 min)
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 503mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g